Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Western States 100 Training Run and Cool Ride and Tie
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Western States 100 Training Run and Cool Ride and Tie


"Believe that you can run farther or faster. Believe that you're young enough, old enough, strong enough, and so on to accomplish everything you want to do. Don't let worn out beliefs stop you from moving beyond yourself” by John Bingham from “Tools and Rules” in Runners World. Thanks Tony for sending the quote. I like what John is saying. Think positively, remove doubt, and set goals for yourself. There is nothing wrong with John’s thinking.
Unfortunately for me Sunday’s Western States training run did not go well. I remember thinking on Saturday that I’m glad I am not running in the mountains today because of the cold, wet, rainy weather. That idea foreshadowed things to come. On Sunday, Tony arrived before 7 AM. We left and proceeded to Forest Hill driving into the fog looking for the sunshine. There isn't much sunshine but instead cold temperature. We registered for the training run, chatted with Greg Soderlund and Tim Twietmeyer and then were joined by Sue and Bill. Bill left and planned to meet her at Rucky Chucky. Her goal is to run 16 miles.
Tony, Sue, and I began the training run together. After a short while, Sue took the lead followed by me in second place and Tony behind me. We continued running and I told Tony early into the run that I didn’t feel great. I did not know what was going on but it was clear that things weren’t right. It’s like I had led feet and was without energy. After a few miles or so, Sue gets out in front and after that I did not see her again.
A runner by the name of Brad, age 47, ran with us to the first aid station at about 8 miles into the run. As it turned out, he lived in our area through high school. He currently lives at Davis. He told us that he is testing out some gear he received from his brother a researcher from Camelback. I plan to contact him later so that I can talk to the Camelback people about donating items for the Cool Ride and Tie and possibly advertising their gear in my book.After leaving the aid station the trail is a series of switchbacks heading down in the direction of the American River. At this point I’m not running, I am merely shuffling. Tony gets in front and I tell him to run ahead since this is not my day. I reviewed the previous week in my head attempting to figure out the cause for feeling so lousy. Chances are it might be related to not sleeping well the last three or four days. My book cover is on my mind. In any event, I’ll never know. Were my thoughts positive going into this run?  In any event, I had a lousy day. What is also clear is that I didn’t come close to catching Tony. He kicked my butt. I’ll race him, another time, at that distance and see what happens. Prescription number 3 from my book fits at this point: enrich your life by making friends, sharing interests, learning about others by becoming part of the new group.
http://wintergoosepublishing.com/authors/frank-lieberman/

0 comments:

Post a Comment