Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Jed Smith 50 km,Mark Richtman and U.S. 50 Mile Record
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Jed Smith 50 km,Mark Richtman and U.S. 50 Mile Record


Secretariat arrived at 6:15 AM Saturday morning and his first words were “it is too early.”  I agreed, as it was still dark.  We drove to the start of Saturday’s Jed Smith race in Sacramento.  We arrived in plenty of time and managed to park in roughly the same place at last year’s race. Incidentally, 40 years ago, Secretariat proposed to Debbie in this location down by the American River.  Congratulations to them both.
I registered, pinned my bib number on my shirt and attached the timing chip to my running shoe.  I was ready.  The 50 mile race began at 7:30 AM.  Ride and tie and world-class runner Mark Richtman, was there.  Mark, at age 54, was there to break the US men’s record in his age division for that distance.  Also, at the starting line was a young runner that had a familiar face. Later I found out that this young man, narrowly missed qualifying for the Olympic marathon trials last year and this was his first 50 mile run.
At the start, there was a two-mile up and back, and then the loops began.  Mark and this young man were in the lead as they passed us. I noticed that Mark’s head was slightly tilted, as he ran past, and I made the comment to myself “I do not think that is a good sign.” 
My 50 Km began at 8:30 AM and started the two-mile up and back, followed by six loops. I felt fine at the beginning and after I finished the first two loops, I was joined by Secretariat.  He told me later that I did not look particularly good at that point.  I remembered  thinking that my two handheld water bottles seemed heavier than usual and I said to myself something like “I have four more loops  to go.“ I felt better after completing the third loop.
Secretariat often ran ahead and waited for me at the two bridge crossings. He enjoyed talking to the volunteers who were there directing the runners.  He made friends quickly, and they soon got to know him.  At the Wyatt Bridge, a young woman had strawberries and beer.  On the fifth loop, he reached that spot before me and had a beer as I arrived.  He was pleased about getting a beer and was his usual chipper self.  At another bridge crossing point, there were two women holding signs of encouragement for all the runners.  Secretariat and I both liked the complimentary remarks, as we passed them.  He said something to the young women, and we laughed.
To be continued tomorrow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment