Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Memorial Day and the Potential Hazzards of Running - Part 2
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Memorial Day and the Potential Hazzards of Running - Part 2


"If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again."– Flavia Weedn

There is a lot of research that associates aerobic exercise with improved blood pressure, improved cholesterol levels and cardiac health as well as many other benefits. Currently, there are concerns that aerobic exercise, in serial marathoners, may be associated with increased vulnerability to atrial fibrillation and coronary artery plaque. This means that there is an association, some anecdotal findings, between some endurance athletes and aortic roots. In another study of 2,377 runners and walkers who had survived heart attacks, after  10 years, 526 of them died with 71 ½% of them from cardiovascular disease. It was concluded that the more these people ran or walked after a heart attack the less likely they were to die of heart disease unless they exceeded 7.1 km of running or 10.7 kilometers of walking daily. The study concluded that excessive exercise significantly increases mortality.
I am unable to evaluate, the credibility of, these studies without going to the original source. These studies may be significant and over time we shall see.
Both Tony and I have not had heart attacks but we both generally exceed 7.1 or 10.7 km daily of aerobic exercise. We will see how long Tony continues with aerobic exercise. His mother lived to 96 years of age. She did not eat cheeseburgers nor did she work out. My mother lived to age 93 years of age and she did not eat cheeseburgers nor did she work out either.
I experienced a condition of atrial tribulation after one of my Tevis Cup rides and was placed on medication for a few years. As I wanted to compete in the Swanton Pacific 100 Mile Ride and Tie, I was concerned about the medication that regulated my heart rate or my pulse during that grueling event. I consulted with my cardiologist Dr. Fisher, a marathoner ,and he suggested during my trail runs, that I stop  and check my heart rate  monitor to see how quickly  my pulse would drop .  I did this procedure numerous times (pulse rate dropped quickly) and we agreed for me to slowly withdraw from the medication. So when I, at age 68, competed with Jonathan Jordan and my Arabian mare Gypsy, I was no longer on medication. Incidentally, we won that race. Not only that, three weeks later Gypsy, my ride and tie partner Joshua  Steffen and I  won the Cool Ride and Tie as well. 
Last Sunday, Tony and I ran from Forest Hill to White Oak Flat on the Western States training run a distance of about 19 miles. On Tuesday, we ran, at a good clip, a short 6 mile loop.  In other words, I’m still going to run on the trail regardless of that Wall Street Journal article. So when I leave this earth, please do an autopsy to evaluate my aortic components.
See ya al on the trail. Remember to keep moving.laughing, smiling and deep breathing. It’s good for you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment