Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: How to Live to be a Psychologically Young 100
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Friday, January 20, 2012

How to Live to be a Psychologically Young 100

Part two
Okay, I am now exercising on a regular basis, because I have a specific goal.  A reason to exercise gives it purpose.  And, the more concrete the goal, coupled with desire ,changes the focus as well as thinking about exercise. How we think about something like exercise is very important. My goal is measurable.  I want to participate and compete in ride and tie.   For me, that means I want to do well in the ride and tie sport because of my competitive nature.  In order to do well, I have to improve with my running; have a strong and well conditioned equine; and locate and team up with a partner that runs and rides well.  It took some time, but I accomplished that end.  Not only did I find partners for the competition, but another benefit occurred as many of them became good, solid friends.

I worked on accomplishing my running goals.  My running did improve as I now began to run the hills and my endurance or stamina increased as evidenced by my ability to run longer distances as well.  For example, I entered a half marathon and a 50 K. trail run.  In other words, after a short while, I was able to run or cover the same distance as my horse, during these events. If my horse was able to run 25 and 35 miles during an event then I wanted to be able to do the same. Notice, I had concrete goals that were measurable and attainable with hard work.   I felt good about my accomplishments,so far so good. Success facilitates success, which means positive feelings associated with self.  Seek success experiences, regardless of your age.
Another change that took place that corresponded with my ride and tie experience was learning and being introduced to anti- aging, nutrition, and rejuvenation.  The book, “Stopping the Clock” by doctors Katz and Goldman opened up another dimension for me to think about. I also learned more about such things as hormones, supplements, and models who exemplified anti -aging.  So now, I began to incorporate better eating habits, in addition to getting in excellent physical shape as a result of all the cardio training that I was doing.
Other changes that took place were the many friendships that I made, as well as becoming part of the ride and tie family competitors.  I learned from people,  more experienced or seasoned ,about conditioning techniques, proper clothing, running shoes, and input about nutrition  before, during, and after the event. Of major importance was the ability to nurture affiliative needs.  Affiliative needs play a significant role in the aging process especially for men .Women generally have better support systems.  I was extremely fortunate as my friendships allowed me to be nurtured.
 Further, I learned about other extreme events such as, but not limited to, the Tevis Cup, Way Too Cool 50 K., American River 50 and The Western States 100.  It did not take long for me to begin riding in a 50 mile endurance ride or running in a 50 mile ultra- run.  Remember, I wanted to be able to run the distance that my horse had to travel in these events.  So when I completed a 100 mile endurance ride, I then had to be able to run 100 miles as well.  Simply put, I accomplished that as well. Important psychological –motivational principles that I applied included a realistic level of aspiration or expectancy. I expected to do well and saw my level of competency continue to get better and improve.  I made concrete goals .I competed in  ultra-events.  I incorporated mindfulness  by being in and acknowledging the present . For example ,if I was experiencing  pain or discomfort, I acknowledged it. I continued to  be future oriented. I was always planning for the next run or the next training. In the process I found meaning and passion in my life.  As a consequence, I became happier with myself, within my life space.   More to follow next week.

0 comments:

Post a Comment