Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Denny, Jack and Warren
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Friday, April 26, 2019

Denny, Jack and Warren


In thinking more about loss, my best friend Denny Ollerman came to mind. I first met Denny while we were both teaching an Introductory Psychology course for Oakland Community College in the late 1960’s.We also were pursuing our Ph. D’s in the Educational and Clinical Psychology Department at Wayne State University. Denny, being a good friend, was always and I mean always there for me over the years while in the Detroit area and again in California.
His kids Scott and Leah were very young when we first met. Denny subsequently divorced and married Maria. Prior to his marriage, Maria and I were faculty colleagues at Cal State University in San Bernardino. Eventually, I moved to the Bay Area and Maria and Denny moved to San Diego. Whenever, I traveled south to compete in a ride and tie, I stopped to see them both. In fact, Denny joined me when I competed in the Cuyumuca Ride and Tie in eastern San Diego County near Alpine where Jonathan resided. 
Denny and Maria bought a second home in the small fishing village of Zihuatanejo, Mexico. Earlier, Denny brought his boat and become affiliated with the dive company there. Of course, visiting resulted in diving in the Pacific with Denny. We had many shared memories of growing up in Detroit. He played high school football for Mumford while I played for Denby. While in grad school, we both had ponytails and beards and were given a nickname by the faculty. I love Denny and miss him greatly. He was extremely intelligent and was a special human being.
Jack Sholl, I met, while researching “It Has Nothing To Do With Age.” Jack was a rower who grew up in the Philadelphia area. He was a real patriot as were his relatives. A distant grandfather, Peter Shumaker, was recruited by William Penn eight generations ago in the late 1600s or more specifically in 1695. Jack’s relatives fought in the American Revolution and another owned the tavern that was used for the Underground Railroad in the 1800s. Jack knew his history and was a volunteer for the National Park Service in Philadelphia. Incidentally, he frequently was asked if he taught American history in high school or college. He replied “no, I worked for IBM for 29 years.”
Jack invited me to attend a book signing for the Sons of the American Revolution in Palm Springs. There, I met Ronald Reagan’s pilot on Air Force One. He was accompanied by his friend one of the Buffalo soldiers that guarded the San Diego area during the Second World War.
 Jack married Joan and during the early years he worked for John B Kelly. Mr. Kelly was Princess Grace’s father. So, Jack and Joan became friends of the Kelly’s as well as Prince Rainier. Shortly after ,I had Jack on our TV show .He was a wonderful man, traveled the world and was blessed by winning 15 US national gold medals in rowing  while still competing well into his 80s. He liked competing-“it’s an ego thing. I can’t disappoint others or let them down……. I like the affiliation, and the bonding with others my age. It’s been a way of life for me. I want to live life to its fullest and I might be afraid to stop, afraid to retire.” I miss being around this humble, positive warm and sincere patriot.
Warren Hellman I met through ride and tie many years ago. I really got to know him as we traveled the last 50 miles or so during the 2000 Tevis Cup competition. Warren was extremely competitive, grew up in New York and was president at the Lehman Brothers while in his late 20s. Tevis Cup winner Cathy Perry once said something to the effect that “Warren has more money than God.”
Warren would come to ride and tie competitions, arriving by his jet. He would show up in a wrinkled shirt and wrinkled pants. He looked homeless and in interacting with him, one had no idea of his extreme wealth. In fact, he started the Bluegrass Festival in San Francisco held at Golden Gate Park. In Golden Gate Park, Speedway Meadow was renamed - Hellman Hollow. He played the banjo and got great satisfaction in so doing. Sen. Dianne Feinstein presented his eulogy at Temple Emanu- El in San Francisco. Warren and I share the distinction along with two others to have completed the Tevis Cup, Western States endurance run, and the 100 mile Swanton Pacific Ride and Tie. Warren was a real kick. Hanging out with Warren was very different.
At one of our Cool Ride and Tie’s, Linda and I presented Warren with an award. He didn’t have to achieve or earn that award. In fact, he was caught off guard and looked surprised when it was presented. The last time I saw Warren was when Tony and I attended Jim Steere’s memorial service. Warren didn’t look physically well at that time .At that service, he did not disclose the severity of his medical issues.

There are many losses during one’s lifetime. However, their memories bring a smile to my face. Knowing them has expanded, enhanced and enriched my world as well. Thank you guys.

0 comments:

Post a Comment