Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Ride and Tie Memories Part 2
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Saturday, April 20, 2019

Ride and Tie Memories Part 2


Early in 1997, I entered an endurance ride that was simultaneously held with Dan Barger’s Mustang Classic Ride and Tie. There, I met Tony Brickel and Jeff Windeshausen. To this day, Tony remains my trail running partner, pacer, man of all seasons and dear friend. 1999 at the Quicksilver Ride and Tie, I met Jonathan Jordan. Jonathan was a defense attorney living in the San Diego area. When I traveled to the San Diego area for a ride and tie, I stayed with Jonathan and his family. When he and his family traveled to northern California, they stayed with Linda and I. Jonathan and I came in first place at the 100 mile Swanton Pacific Ride and Tie in 2008. I also consulted with Jonathan on one of his murder cases in Redding, California.
 I retired in 1999 and moved to the foothills of the Sierra Nevada’s. I was assisted, mentored, and influenced by ride and tie competitors Tom and Laura Christofk, and Jerome Beauchamp to name a few. Through ride and tie friends, I learned about the Tevis Cup and Western States competitions. Living near the endurance capital of the world, I naturally had to be a part of these events as well. During my Tevis completion in 2000, Tony assisted my horse Raider and me at the Forest Hill vet check and then again at the finish line in Auburn. Unfortunately, a number of my ride and tie friends including Tony, Becky, Tom, Chris and Michael Shackleford didn’t complete that race because of issues with their horse.
Ride and tie competitor Linda Raposelli Rodgers was my training partner for the 2002 Western States endurance run. Also, I received assistance from Chris Turney and William Emerson winners of the 2001 Euer Valley Ride and Tie Championship. Ride and tie friends again assisted me by being pacers on the run. Chuck Mather paced me from Forest Hill to Ruck -A-Chucky. Bill Johnson then paced me to the Highway 49 crossing. There, Jerome Beauchamp accompanied me to finish while encouraging me to pick off runners ahead. Just before the finish, at Robie Point, I was met by my sister Bev, my girlfriend, Tony and Deb Brickel and another dear friend Bob Edwards. We all laughed and lollygagged our way to the finish line in Auburn.
In essence, around age 57, the ride in tie influence began. I have both sad and joyous memories in recalling Jonathan, Bud and Chris. Even though they are physically gone, their memories are as bright as the sun and bring a smile to my face. This post brought back many terrific memories of the numerous friends, and friendships for me. It may sound like a cliché, however the sport of ride and tie facilitated a smooth,  prosperous and fruitful  transition into a retirement that assisted in my becoming more physically and mentally fulfilled and healthy.
PS
Ride and Tie individuals are runners with varied equestrian backgrounds. Endurance riders have mostly equestrian backgrounds. So, not all equestrians can compete in ride and tie.

0 comments:

Post a Comment