Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Russ Kiernan
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Friday, November 18, 2022

Russ Kiernan

 


 I was saddened when Tony and I talked last week about  Russ Kiernan’s passing.  More bad news -death.  On the positive, Russ was instrumental in my first Ride and Tie experience.  I had the horse and all I needed was a human partner. Curt Riffle teamed me up with Russ for the Quicksilver event.  I don't remember, prior to the event, knowing anything about Russ.  He was tall, thin and athletic looking when we met.  He told me that I should start out on my horse, I now know why, and he would meet my horse and later catch me on the trail.  That sounded reasonable. That first time was a hand tie  on the left side of the trail.  I dismounted ,handed the reins to Robert and started up the trail. Within seconds there was Russ and my horse Running Bear. There have been one or two more exchanges before the Vet check.  Russ took the horse in and I was going to take my horse through the vet check .  I didn’t see Russ again until the finish line.  We came in seventh overall and I was certainly refreshed.  Thinking about it , at the time, this was not  difficult.  Yes, Russ  ran the entire second half of the race out ahead.  Anyway,this neophyte was hooked. What a fun sport, even though I knew nothing about long-distance running; training for  hill work; nutrition; hydration; running gear; or strategy at that time. 


My second  ride and tie event was the championship held in the Fort Bragg area.  This time Curt set me up with Paul Robinson.  immediately after introduction, Paul said” this time it's not going to be so easy.  I have to run, you're going to have to run. “ It wasn't till the end of that event that I realized that the Quicksilver event was a fluke because I had a phenomenal running partner. My aching body, the next morning, told me that  the sport was extremely difficult to say the least. But, what a blast.


Russ was the third team member to have passed.  The deaths and losses really suck, and continue to hurt. I eventually found out about Russ and his accomplishments when I interviewed him for "It Has Nothing to Do With Age."  Like most stories of exceptional individuals, there's a history of ups and downs.  Russ came from a working class family and they moved from Oakland to San Francisco.  Academics in high school were not his strong suit.  Fortunately, Russ had an older brother Don whom he admired and who took care of him.  Russ was rudderless , but thanks to Don, he enrolled at the community college .  Don  was also instrumental in directing Russ into elementary education as a major.


Within executive ego functioning, Russ’s ego strength was weak.  He was irresponsible and drank too much during his early 20s, even though  married.  Tragically, he lost his alcoholic father in a fire and his wife in the same year -1966.  It wasn't until about three years later that his decision-making became more realistic.  His first introduction to running  was the historic Bay to Breakers race in San Francisco when he rode his bicycle keeping up with the five-time winner Kenny Moore.  In Marin, Russ started running and found mentors along the way.  In fact, Marin has the Dipsea race, another longtime illustrious event only surpassed by the Boston Marathon in longevity.  Russ met the Dipsea Demon and they became great friends.


Ross's executive ego functioning became apparent in his approach to that event, with its 671 stairs that lead up to the side of Mount Tamalpais and finishing at Stinson Beach .  Russ broke down the distances on the spreadsheet dividing up sections of distance with pace times per distance.  He pretty much knew what  pace to run, in order  to become a winner.  In essence, Russ used his memory, planning, prioritizing, organizing, managing time and defining and achieving his goal efficiently and productively.  Russ was a three-time winner and 11 time winner of the Double Dipsea putting him in the Hall of Fame.  He is the Dipsea Legend.


On a more humorous note, Tony, Russ and I were having lunch in Marin one Saturday when  Russ told us about the time that his friend Warren Hellman ( also passed) introduced him to "Diane's husband."  That man was married to Dianne Feinstein, a personal friend of Warren.  The sad part is that there are so many good memories from the past. I miss the present and  future.  The passing of so many include Leslie Yates from Kentucky, Mark Richtman from Novato, Jim Steere, Tom Christofk of Grass Valley and Bud Johns, the Father of Ride and Tie. 


 Bob Edwards and Jonathan Jordan were not only partners but, dear friends that I miss terribly.  Yes, memories are good but the loss is very significant and cannot be replaced. Bob was a free spirit, an excellent horseman and a terrific partner. Our  exchanges were perfect, except when  I ran past his tied horse at the Eur Valley  Ride and Tie  Championship.  In any event, we had fun and he was a good friend. Bob was with me when I purchased my house over 22 years ago.  Jonathan was a southern gentleman lawyer like his father.  In fact, Jonathan reminded me of Atticus Finch in Harper Lee's “ To Kill a Mockingbird.” Both were defense lawyers  protecting the unfortunate from society's prejudices and wrongs .  Jonathan's oldest son was named Atticus.  Jonathan , I miss your intellectual understanding and our laughter together. He was a fun person. Life can be humorous .


Talking with Paul , another ride and tier, I learned more about Jeff and Jeanine  Windenhausen as well as Chris and Cheryl Knoch, all good friends with Paul.  It's  terrific to be able to share experiences and stories  and learn more about people that you like .  However, with aging, losses  accumulate, pileup and never end which is our fate . One disadvantage of longevity is that you outlive your friendships.


Thank you Russ for your straightforward introduction to the sport.  You were the perfect  model at that time.  Although I didn't  realize it,the vector of my life  over the next decade was put in motion  by  you and all the other world-class athletes. Russ, thank you again. Memorial is scheduled for December 17, 2022 at 11 AM at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church in Mill Valley .I hope Tony joins us. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment