Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Asclepius or Geras
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Thursday, June 15, 2023

Asclepius or Geras

 


 Per WW W.living to 100.com, I'm on my way according to their life expectancy calculator . Research, at this point, has found that activities and choices  either  significantly benefit or  significantly interfere with the brain and body’s  well being .  Further,  activities and choices pertaining to nutrition, physical and cognitive exercise overlap and benefit  both brain and body . This disquisition depicts a glimpse or representation of  my aging .


My story begins in 1939 in Detroit, Michigan.  Prior to elementary school, I had an asthma diagnosis.  As a result , to defeat that inferiority, I became interested in outdoor activities.  In elementary school, my favorite author was John R. Tunis.  He wrote stories about young athletes overcoming difficulties in achieving success.  As a young boy, dad took me to Belle Isle, an island in the middle of the Detroit River.  At that time they had a small  zoo, fed elephants peanuts and went on horse  and  horse and buggy rides. Dad gave me the reins . Aunt Sarah, a Tiger enthusiast, took me to my first Tiger baseball game and Al Noseda, our  special next door neighbor, purchased my first baseball glove.  In my neighborhood, on Wade street, were Glenn ,Don and Ken Pringle .They were older and were  the focus for pickup games.  Ken was a track and football player for Denby high school.


In elementary school, my best friend was Tom S.  We were  rivals.  In junior high, Tom S ,  Bob A  and I made up a spectacular three  on three basketball team. In those days no one had a jump shot but instead a two-handed push shot. Tom became one of the co captains on our Denby high football team and later played for  Coach Dan Devine at Missouri.  During adolescence, I put together a Parks and Recreation baseball team, solicited jerseys from neighboring businesses and called our  team "Rowdy."  Mom objected to  the name of our team.   In high school, my friends, like Dave  N, Ron P, Rick M, Roger C, Dave B.  Dick M , Rudy N  and others  played varsity sports.  I followed the Tigers, Lions, Pistons and Red Wings and had my favorites like Gordie Howe, Doak Walker , Johnny Growth,  Ted Gray Dave  Bing and others from  other teams. I  collected baseball and football cards.


After college and graduate school, I worked part-time for Parks and Recreation; and in my early 40s  began recreational running .  Soon after, Barbara and I purchased horses.  Eventually, we  bought a ranch in the Bay Area  in order to have our steeds with us.  After a few endurance events, I found out about Ride and Tie.  I remained passionate about sports .

My college , graduate school and professional life was associated with cognitive exercise. Dad  told me to use my brain and not my back.  I listened  and followed his advice.  Unfortunately, I sat on my rear end   during the day, providing consultation ,therapy etc. To keep alert, I drank Coke and because of the long hours, dinner was at a late hour.  On the other hand, I had morning's free to ride my horse.  In my late 50s, the marriage ended.  Around that time, Georgia gave me a  present , titled "Stopping the Clock." 


With additional information about "immortality,"  competing in Ride and Tie, and  retiring, my life focus was directed towards  play and health. I stopped drinking Cokes, eating granola and raisin bran for breakfast, fast foods, late  dinners and eliminated work and  relationship stress.  More positively , I learned more about  being an equestrian,   competitive running, nutrition , continuing education and other health suggestions from new athletic friends.  Incidentally, old friendships like Denny O, Wayne F and   Gary I  were also smart and athletic minded.  New competitive friends were also intelligent like Steve A,  Bob E ,Tony B,  Jerome B,  Jonathan J,  Dave H,  Paul K ,Linda R ,Doyle E,  Bill J,  TD , Mike K, Joan G , Audrey V, Jim H, Gordon P , Jim H and so many others  like  my spouse Linda  that accompanied me on my journey.  In other words, for the last 25 years, I ate and exercised my brain and body superbly .


Pertaining to mental and physical exercise, I obsessively trained with others and learned a great deal about shoes ,tights, orthotics ,  hydration, power bars, sports drinks, track work with Chris T etc.   Also, various running magazines and articles provided by Linda R added additional knowledge which included nutritional suggestions like the Mediterranean diet, flavonoids and flavanols , antioxidant compounds, omega-3 fatty acids ,caffeine , green and black tea and so forth.  Additionally, continuing education , ACT television program ,two  book publishings complemented and supplemented current information about mental illness, physical disease treatment, brain and body health , competition , perseverance  and so forth and  kept those neurons firing and telomeres lengthening. In addition, I formed a Monday Night Football group .


 Broadly speaking, aging has significantly different  outcomes for us Homo sapiens. On the one hand, there can be pain, misery, distress, despair, dependency, regression and pessimism.  One can have a debilitating confining illness affecting the  body severely limiting  mobility along with inefficient treatment.  Further, one can have  a severe cognitive malfunction, limiting identity along with the loss of a fully functioning sense of self. Also, for some, it's a defeat , a giving up, a wish to end the discomfort  and a desire to pass . Contrasted, becoming older can be a positive adaptation with reflective practices .


 Our culture promotes and reinforces ideas and practices engulfing  youth , youthfulness with its illusions and mythology . However, in yesteryear  in the  Hebrew Bible, the word "old" had many different meanings . The terms had many variations . In contrast, English compacted them together.  For instance, In biblical times, there was a word for ancient golden times; days of old, as before time; all those far away long ago; for old people like Sarah and Job; for old age as "when my strength faileth."  Further,  in  Beowulf and Old English manuscripts, the word “old “ carried a positive meaning in 49 compound words that incorporated old. In only 8,  were they  clearly negative, like "old devil." Old  had positive connotations and were  associated with virtues such as nobility, mercy, esteem and power.  That changed with Shakespeare .He used “old " as an instrument to insult and ridicule . He frequently disparaged the word by coupling it with unpleasant partners such as” old and wicked,” “ old and miserable,” “ old and deformed” etc .


While aging , it's advantageous for your soul to  challenge your archetype , reframe current  terminology   and  eliminate  negative references to “old” like  “ old grouch, “old man,” “ old-fashioned” etc. and incorporate “ old “ and refer to it as lasting , endurance, caring,  perspective, appreciating, preserving, transmitting wisdom , understanding, experience ,knowledge and modeling a life of  being authentic  real with  gravitas , eccentricity and sensibility . Avoid the  caricatures of complaints:  rocking in a  chair  on the porch ; reciting old used to stories ; keeping track of all the passings   along with  complaints of aches, pains and surgeries . Become like Asclepius and not Geras. 


The Western States 100 , can be used as an analogy to the process of aging. Executive mental processes and cognitive abilities such as working memory, reasoning, mental flexibility , completing goals, planning , organizing, self-monitoring, paying attention, decision-making, problem solving, modifying behaviors, and self correction  is required and necessary for meeting  a challenging goal. To begin, there is a qualifying race; a specific starting time and ending time; on a designated trail with age grouping competition . Also, executive functioning is required for  trail navigation with the plethora of natural and physical barriers as well as self monitoring the mental and physical pain and/or injury during the grueling event  Perseverance, overcoming setbacks and relying  on wisdom, knowledge, sensibility and experience for completion is the process.  The unexpected occurs with unforeseen consequences. There is no straight path, but a series of ups , downs, twists, turns, roks, branches etc.  along the way. Moreover, one has  necessary and helpful affiliations  at designated aid stations. It's important to maintain an electrolyte balance with  proper hydration and energy during the event .  That's when a supportive crew provides assistance, knowledge, and feedback.  Moreover, one's pacers are very important and provide encouragement, suggestions ,  and motivational assistance.  Chuck M.  helped me get on the  scale at Rucky Chucky; Bill J. told me that Linda R was just ahead of me; and Jerome B said let's pick off these runners, and we did.   In other words, one has to endure , appreciate, understand , have wisdom, knowledge, and be authentic during the process with  the necessary nurturance, support and friendship with a range of emotions such as  anxiety, fear, excitement,  happy, boredom, joy ;with repetition of increasing obstacles, challenges and physical difficulties, without the reliance  of technological devices, and with uninterrupted silence and compilation ; a variability of thoughts such as, I'm looking forward to the next aid station, I ‘m surprised to see  Judy C at  Michigan Bluff, wondered  where was  my crew Bob E. and  Jim H.  at Green Gate, while laughing and joking with my sister,  Tony and Debbie B, Bob E, Marisa D  at Robie Point . At the finish I felt satisfaction, tiredness and relief .  And a very special acknowledgment to Bev, my sister, friend ,confidant  who accompanied me, on this journey, from start to finish. Believe that life is worth living, and your belief will help create the fact , said William James.


Reference

Hillman, James. The Force of Character and the  Lasting Life.


0 comments:

Post a Comment