Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Explicit Memories
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Thursday, June 1, 2023

Explicit Memories

  

This Memorial Day brought back explicit ,episodic and semantic memories.  Memorial Day commemorates many of our countries fallen during the various  wars.  I remember individuals that served in World War II, the Korean War and Vietnam.  However, I do not know of anyone who lost their life during those horrendous events.  This disquisition incorporates long-term memories brought into consciousness that include Ride and Tie, Western States 100 and  friends associated during these past 25 years .


A long time ago, I heard that Ride and Tie participants were elite athletes.  Then ,I found out about the Western States 100 historic run and  about the many who competed in that event. The present competition included Jim Howard, Brian Purcell and Tom Johnson , winners of that run.  That's  elite competition.  All this started in 1997 at Gibson Ranch (semantic) during an endurance and Ride and Tie event.  Then in 2001, I met Linda Raposelli Rodgers at mile 16 (semantic) on that  trail, one of the aid stations for that race.  She suggested we enter and compete.


In 2002,  I learned about the training runs.  The first occurred in January and started at Green Gate and ended at  Placer High school in Auburn-the finishing  point.  The second occurred during Memorial Day weekend, on a Saturday, and started near Robinson Flat and ended in Forest Hill; on Sunday, the run began in Forest Hill and ended at Drivers Flat; and Monday started at Green Gate and ended at the finish line in Auburn.  Total distance for the three days was about 70 to 75 miles.


I have participated in many training runs over the years.  However, one training run , episodic memory, with Tony , stands out in particular.  It was a Sunday and began in Forest Hill.  Tony and I had done numerous training runs over the years.  At Drivers Flat, Tony remarked that he lost his keys.   He called Debbie from Forest Hill and she picked us up.  Later ,Tony indicated he knew where he lost his keys-it was when he went to the bathroom.  Okay, we then started out from Drivers Flat and headed back towards Forest Hill in search of his keys.  He remembered where he took the dump and found his keys.  We then ran back to Driver's Flat.  I don't remember if we had driven in his truck or car on that day . 


This Memorial Day ,I started out late for my morning run.  I have about 7-8 different loops which I alternate.  I had, that day in my consciousness  , projects that I needed to complete.  In any event, I headed towards the third gate and  then ran towards the Western States Trail.  Incidentally, I had not run that particular loop in about three weeks .  I heard voices and saw runners on the trail.  I asked if there was a run ?  They replied, Western States training run.  Of course, as a flood of  episodic memories erupted from my unconscious, it's Memorial Day.  I asked one of the runners if he knew Craig Thornley and he said he did.  I replied and told him Frank Lieberman said hi.  He repeated my name a few times and said he would.


I had a couple of insights during that run.  First, I noticed a lot of females participating in the trail run.  That brought to mind Plato's Eros myth Symposium.  Plato  talked about the original unity of man who was divided , according to Zeus , into two halves, and after this division, each desiring his other half, they came together and threw their arms about one another eager to grow into one.  Ponder that idea for a while.  The second insight was that I did not have to beat or stay in front of anyone. It was okay to be passed on the trail, and didn't experience a narcissistic injury  when passed by young good-looking women.  I was able to think, reflect, bring up episodic memories , enjoy the surroundings and acknowledge the compliments when they told me, "Good job." 


  I have evolved.  It was almost like playing again. I didn't have to concern myself with time ; I didn't have to go to the track to work on speed ; I didn't have to perform repeats; I didn't have to run hills, etc. I could run happily, beautifully and no longer have to concern myself with overuse injuries.  I am now able to run relaxed and ponder about what I'm going to write with a smile on my face.


It's true that our memories change over time and some aspects of our memory improve as we age.  It's also true that  memory is linked to  emotions, physical sensations and  environment.  Not only that, it informs us who we are and helps us plan and look to the future.  I am thankful that I have had wonderful memories over this past quarter century.  I have met neat people and developed significant friendships while competing.  Our  memory defines us, gives meaning and solidifies identity.  


Reference

Brickel, Tony and Lieberman, Frank. https://studio.youtube.com/channel/UCtwkulV78sUFljjpMuLmLJg/videos/upload?filter=%5B%5D&sort=%7B%22columnType%22%3A%22date%22%2C%22sortOrder%22%3A%22DESCENDING%22%7D

Lieberman, Frank. Bo's Warriors .  Bo Schembechler and the Transformation of Michigan Football.

Lieberman frying.  It Has Nothing to Do With Age Stories of driven athletes who compete in extraordinary sports.


0 comments:

Post a Comment