Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Are Your Birthday's Happy ? - Part 5
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Are Your Birthday's Happy ? - Part 5


"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark."– Henri Frédéric Amiel

  Unfortunately diets don’t seem to work very well and exercise programs often fail because we stop. Boredom, stress, work, or fatigue and other issues raise their ugly head and before long we stop either the diet or exercise or both.  As you know, to eat healthy is expensive and to eat unhealthy is cheap and readily available. Once again it comes down to choices. So, the only way to maintain good health and well- being is to employ enjoyable habits that are also healthy.
I am lucky and fortunate since I was relatively healthy at age 57. And since that time I have engaged in running for conditioning and competitions. For me, running is an activity that fuels my soul. I run because I need to. In fact, I don’t like taking days off when I’m either tapering for an ultra events or especially when I’m ill. Just because the temperature may be in the 40’s and raining cats and dogs, this is not a good reason for not going out for a run. No one melts, as far as I’ve seen, when they’re in the rain .In fact I get grumpy and become sluggish when not running. Running has become a healthy way of life. And, I am happy to say that I still run ultras at the young age of 73.
I like to associate with other people who share my passion for running. In fact, it allows me to hang out with people in their 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s (younger people) which happens to be another component of successful aging. As you know, young people don’t necessarily talk about their aches, pains or illnesses. It can be a different story when around older individuals who seem to enjoy (secondary gain) talking about their illness. Being around negative individuals is certainly a drain and can affect attitude and well-being. My mother was smart as she told me when she was in her 80s”I do not like to be around old people.”
Young Norman Lear the creator of TV shows like “All in the Family” also likes to associate with young people and states that he’s keeps up with new ideas through his 18-year-old twin daughters. Carl Reiner, the creator of the Dick Van Dyke show, also likes to hang out and associate with the young such as his buddy Mel Brooks age 86. Their secret for keeping up with the pop-culture is to watch TV shows such as Homeland, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report and Real Time with Bill Maher.  Can you determine if these three men are similar in any other ways? So you see, these Hollywood types also know two off my secrets regarding aging.  Source:  Joel Stein, Time, March 11, 2013
To be continued
Remember to keep moving with humor. Count your steps.2, 000 steps is about a mile. 10,000 steps is a good number.

0 comments:

Post a Comment