Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Fritz Seyferth,Tim Tweitmeyer,Mark Falcone and ACT Television -Part 2
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Fritz Seyferth,Tim Tweitmeyer,Mark Falcone and ACT Television -Part 2

"We must dare to think "unthinkable" thoughts. We must learn to explore all the options and possibilities that confront us in a complex and rapidly changing world."– James William Fulbright

Red has been doing a wilderness trip for 50 years and Fritz for the past five years.  I found out, with my discussion with Fritz, more insight into his mental toughness. We talked about his very first experience with Red in the wilderness. According to Fritz, he loves this experience as it puts him in touch with his primitive side. It’s just like being a caveman, in some respect, because two things become very apparent. First, in order to survive, you have to work as a team as well as having to rely on yourself. In other words you have to pitch your own tent and yet cut wood for the group. It’s important to use both sides of your brain including the executive function because you have to gather information, quickly understand the variables and implement and produce. While dealing with all the challenges you’re using your intellectual, mental, emotional and physical and pushing the boundaries to the limits.
Fritz stated that, all too often, using ones work or employment as an example, we simply are not challenged like that. As a result, monotony or boredom can set in. I totally agree with him and what comes to mind was an experiment I learned about in Dr. Jacob Kounin’s psychology class regarding the development and process of satiation. Incidentally, the brilliant Dr. Kounin was a student under the legendary Kurt Lewin.
For me, the most challenging mental and physical experiences where three different one day 100 mile events that I completed in my six decade of life.  In the Tevis Cup event my partner was my horse Rader and in the Swanton Pacific Ride and Tie my partners included Jonathan Jordan and my horse Gypsy. In these two ultra events, I had partners and I would only be successful if we worked as a team. Trust me; it’s important to take care of your horse if you want to complete these events. It’s about teamwork.
 In the Western States 100, my team was my crew that I saw periodically. So even in that one event, the importance of other people is very clear. Working as a team, relying on others as well as yourself was the key to success. I do not have a problem remembering this concept. In “It Has Nothing To Do With Age “prescription number three addresses this very significant point.
Fritz, I thank you, for sharing and revealing yourself.
I would guess that tomorrow's TV  guests Tim and Mark will add more information about mental toughness as well as the importance of teamwork. Those of you that do not know about Tim, he is inhuman as far as his running accomplishments go.  I have to find out about his human side and his vulnerabilities.
On another note, I just read an article about the stud farms in Kentucky. In fact according to the Blood-horses Stallions Register there’s about 30 of them. These mansions for these magnificent stallions have a number of perks. To illustrate, a stall might have two windows; partial pastor views; 4 foot tall walls with black metal railings so the horse can see the landscape and garden when the barn doors are open; a digital camera that captures and monitors movement; special feeding such as grains and molasses to complement the pasture, 16 foot ceiling fans to keep the horse cooled and to keep away flies and posts placed outside the fences to prevent injury. So the cost for boarding for one year might be anywhere from $25-$30,000. I don’t know what it would cost to transport your horses to Kentucky. I’m sure that’s extra. This article was found in the Wall Street Journal June 7, 2013.

Yesterday, Tony and I did our 10 or so mile loop on the WS trail. Today, I plan to accompany Linda and her Arabian Nails on the trail. See you on the trail.

Remember to keep moving, laughing, smiling and breathing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment