Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: The Evolving Brain
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Evolving Brain


"A person who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
– Albert Einstein

 

We all know that exercise is important for well-being. And , exercise and movement are necessary and   especially important in order for our brain to continue to evolve. It is clear that  neurotransmitters such as serotonin, norepinephrine   and brain  opiates are influenced by exercise and physical activity. With that being so, without exercise, we increase the likelihood of a mood disorder, and/or  cognitive decline. So in order to reduce anxiety, reduce depression, elevate mood, improve memory and enhance your life, keep moving. Moving could consist of cardiovascular training and/or resistance training. And if you add proper nutrition to this formula, you’ll be able to do the unbelievable. In other words, you will surprise yourself.

On New Year’s Day, I ran my fourth consecutive 10 mile trail(Resolution) run in Auburn. And on the previous Sunday, I ran close to 20 miles on the trail and then I rested  Monday and Tuesday. For  the past 10 years or so, I started tapering 10 days prior to an event decreasing mileage on consecutive days. This time I deviated from my past routine. I didn’t know how the new training might affect my run on New Year’s Day. I am happy to say that I ran faster during this race than prior. You have to remember that I’m in the 70-99 age group.

Also, I am pleased to report that Tony also ran faster on race day.

I’m grateful that I have a good training partner to run with-that being Tony. Often overlooked as far as workouts, training , and exercise go, are  the psychological and social benefits of having an accomplice. With a training or running partner, it elevates competition, camaraderie, friendship and having things in common. And so what happens during training runs are movement, laughing, smiling, deep breathing, bonding, and even gratitude which all contribute to well-being. The secret is easy, it’s about the doing and that’s what happens between your ears.

0 comments:

Post a Comment