Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Mortality
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Friday, June 28, 2019

Mortality



2019 has been a year of mortality as I lost another friend. Fred Jones in his early 90s recently passed.  Mensa Fred graduated from UC Berkeley with a Masters in biology. He was a Bighorn or large horn sheep expert.  Fred, the mountain man, spent a lot of time on horseback observing and gathering data.
Gov. Pat Brown appointed Fred to head the California State Parks system. During that time, Fred and Wendell Robie met. Wendell wanted favors from Fred and in their exchange Wendell arranged for Paige Harper to lend Fred a horse for him to ride Tevis. Riding with Wendell and Paige resulted in improving Fred’s equine skills. After the Tevis ride completion, Wendell Robie was injured, and asked Fred to hand out award buckles to the finishers. I had Fred provide additional information regarding Wendell that I included in “It Has Nothing to Do with Age.”
Ronald Reagan, elected governor, fired Fred from his state park position. Fred then worked for the Department of Interior and was sent to Iran. Fred and his wife Gloria became good friends of the Shah of Iran’s brother. He has many super stories and their home was filled with artifacts from that experience.
Fred and Gloria have a travel club called the Vagabundos del Mar. They have traveled all over Mexico but have their home base in Loretto. Linda and I were their guests and we went whale watching etc. while visiting them in Loretto.
When I ran the Western States 100, I told Fred that I would likely enjoy a Popsicle at the 16 mile marker of the run which is near our home. Incidentally, that trail is called the Robie. Fred followed my progress on the Internet and then they met me at the appropriate time. Sure enough, that Popsicle hit the spot. Fred kept the Popsicle cold with dry ice. It was perfect.
About six months ago or so, Tony and I were heading out for our run. A bent over Fred was walking up his steep driveway. I told Tony that I was looking at my future [Fred’s about 12 years older than I am]; and that Tony was looking at his future by being with me [I am about 12 years older than Tony].
Loss is one of the problems of aging. We are present one minute, and gone the next. With aging comes sadness, but good memories. And with loss, I think about my own mortality. This year has been tough and a real challenge. I miss Fred.
PS
Other friends that I have written about in my book that have passed include: Jonathan Jordan, Bob Edwards, Mark Richtman, Jim Steere, Jim Harris, Bud Johns, Jack Sholl and Warren Hellman. Unbelievable when I think about it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment