Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: It's Tony's Fault
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Friday, July 12, 2019

It's Tony's Fault



This essay addresses a question that I’m frequently asked “What are you running from?” In order to answer that question, I applied Kurt Goldstein’s Organismic Personality Theory. My reply incorporated a few of neuropsychiatrist Dr. Goldstein’s personality constructs such as Figure-Ground; Equalization; Self-Actualization; and “Coming to Terms with the Environment”
In 1997, while living in the Bay Area and nearing retirement, I was personally introduced to the sport of Ride and Tie. In this sport, two individuals and one horse competed as a team, in the mountains, on a trail of 22-100 miles in length. The object or the “figure” [a process that emerges and stands out against the background-perception and activity] would be competing, the running and riding or action in the particular event and the” ground” would be all the backdrop activities of the particular ride and tie event. In order to participate in the event-the figure, would be perfecting running ability; conditioning the equine; and finding a suitable partner with flawless exchanges. Of course, one could break down perfecting running ability-figure, with various running gear, training and hydration routines, running diversified trails etc.
I wanted to become better, and become more proficient and compete in this sport. I was surrounded and became associated with world-class athletes that had won and dominated the 100 Mile Western States Endurance Run; the 100 Mile Tevis and Hagan Cup; and the 100 Mile Swanton Pacific Ride and Tie. Self-actualization drive was the impetus to master and excel in this rugged event of Ride and Tie. Dr. Goldstein called this self-actualization a master motive. He didn’t address or enumerate on other needs. A need, according to Goldstein, was a deficit state which motivated the person to replenish the deficit. Self-actualization was the replenishment or fulfillment of a need or needs.
Employing Dr. Henry Murray’s listing of needs, I fulfilled ,by participating in the sport , a number of needs  such as: Abasement [to accept injury, punishment, pain]; Achievement [accomplishing something difficult]; Affiliation [cooperating, reciprocating and remaining loyal to a friend]; Play [to participate in sports]; and Exhibition [to make an impression]. At this time, I was also close to retirement and then moved to the Endurance Capital of the World. This environment was ideal for “Coming to Terms with the Environment.” This new environment facilitated my goal toward self-actualization. My environment was perfect for training and conditioning; I was surrounded by world-class athletes; and I was stimulated by all the rugged outdoor events. According to his theory, Goldstein postulated that we have an average state of tension; it gets interrupted and then, by our behavior, we attempt to return to that balance or equal state. This process was called Equalization. I experienced constant disturbances and energy change as a result of my participation in this sport. And, I had no trouble equalizing it by being able to center myself as in proper running practices, deep breathing, resting when tired, and nourishing my body through better hydration and nutrition.
More on coming to terms with the environment. I blamed Tony and frequently tell him “it’s your fault.” I met Tony in 1997 at the Mustang Classic Endurance and Ride and Tie event. Since that time, we have been to equine and running events throughout the state. Tony was there at the vet checks on the Tevis in Forest Hill and at the fairgrounds in Auburn assisting me with my horse Raider. Tony was there at Robie Point roughly 2 ½ miles from the finish for the Western States 100 mile run. Tony and I run three days a week and he has paced me numerous times on running events ranging from 50 K to 50 miles. Tony has accompanied me on book signings and presentations. Tony created a video for “It Has Nothing to Do with Age.” Tony was a co-producer for our TV program. Tony created my email account and my two blogs. Tony even made a rack for me to hold my numerous medals. I’m sure you’ll agree with me that” it’s his fault.”
Optimum mental and physical health was my drive and definition for self-actualization. Ride and Tie facilitated the physical health part as I competed  in many ride and  tie and endurance events; completed Tevis; was an age division winner in the 100 Mile Western States Endurance Run; and with my partner Jonathan and my horse Gypsy,  won the 100 Mile Swanton Pacific Ride and Tie. By the way, I am one of four individuals to have completed these three 100 mile events. Also, during this period, my cognitive  mental health was enhanced by researching and writing  two books  “It Has Nothing to Do with Age,” and Bo’s Warriors -Bo Schembechler and the Transformation of Michigan Football.” Both books had to do with learning about outstanding athletic individuals who were dominant and won awards in extreme sports. We’re still friends today.
Simply put, my main drive these past 22 years became my purpose in life. This drive for self-actualization was for optimum health and well-being. Being reared by a juvenile diabetic father, had a lot to do with my push for a healthy longevity. In essence, I am running from illness and running to health. Ride and Tie, writing two books, and moving to the Sierra Nevada foothills were the perfect choices and environmental circumstances for that goal accomplishment. Knowing what’s important as in “figure” and putting lesser things in the background like “ground” allowed me to continue to compete and experience happiness as a derivative -where it belongs. Sorry Mick, I have much satisfaction. It’s not about trying, it’s about doing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment