Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: My Father
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

My Father

The writing of my book “It Has Nothing to Do with Age” and my concern about physical and mental health has a lot to do with my childhood and adolescence in Detroit. I spend a lot of time thinking about health and ways to increase longevity or finding the secret to the fountain of youth. For me, this is becoming more important as I age. So far, I’m pleased with my aging process. My mental and physical fitness levels are still strong.
My father unfortunately was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes. Early on I remember conversations about foods that he could or couldn’t eat. I also recall my father injecting insulin, with a needle, into his body and his struggle with regulating sugars. He even asked me to inject him with insulin which I did. At times, we would take a trip to Windsor, Ontario a province in Canada, by way of the Detroit to Windsor Tunnel to purchase insulin.  At times we would stop to get something to eat and I would get a haircut as well. How many of you have gone with your father to another country to get   meds?
My father was knowledgeable about diabetes and  his prognosis for the future. The picture he described was not pretty. He knew that his organs were not going to last and eyesight and poor circulation was foreseeable problem areas. He had a series of medical issues that often resulted in going into the hospital (Henry Ford, University of Michigan, Mayo Clinic etc.)  for various surgeries. Once, at the University of Michigan Hospital, I met Terry Sawchuck the goalie for the Detroit Red Wings. My father was proud of my physical prowess and asked me to hold a chair by one leg parallel to the floor in front of Terry. Talk about a conflicting memory that’s one.
My father had an early retirement at the age of 55. The last 15 years of his retirement years were not terrific as result of his medical condition. True enough, circulation problems resulted in some amputation. He passed away just prior to his 71st birthday. At times he exhibited frustration, anger, depression, and being a victim. He was extremely bright and articulate and also terribly unhappy. It’s not too much of a surprise that I became a psychologist and my younger brother Ron a physician. I work on the mental and he is concerned with the physical well-being.
Luckily for me, I do not have a medical or mental condition. I want to stay away from hospitals, medications, and outpatient doctor visits. I would like to spend the rest of my life devoted to health and fitness. This book is to be published soon and I’m already thinking about a second book coupled with speaking engagements.   I aim to spread the word. Keep healthy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment