Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Running Madness,Western States 100, and Tour de France
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Friday, July 8, 2011

Running Madness,Western States 100, and Tour de France

Just yesterday, I began thinking about the audio for the book trailer video (It Has Nothing to Do with Age). For the YouTube video, I plan to use footage of “Running Madness” the documentary of the 2002 Western states 100 mile endurance run. In watching the video, my thoughts went back to my participation in that event. First, I had to qualify for the drawing. No one is guaranteed a spot because of the lottery. To qualify, I had, because my age, to run a 50 mile trail run under 10 hours. At that time, I had not run any 50 mile run. My running resume included: a half marathon, a full marathon, and a 50 K. I also had four years of ride and tie experience. I was counting on ride and tie as being my secret weapon (lots of ground time) which would allow me to complete the run. You might think I was naive?
Aside from having to run 100 miles up and down canyons with conditions ranging from snow to 100 degree Fahrenheit, what other issues could there be? Well, there’s a brief medical examination at prerace registration because weight, blood pressure, and pulse are recorded and used as a baseline throughout the event. The loss of 3% of body weight affects performance. 3 to 5% loss indicates depletion of body fluids and possible loss of gastrointestinal and musculoskeletal function. A 7% loss of weight may be grounds for being pulled from the race. So periodically you have to get on a scale during the run.
·         Medical risk factors include renal shutdown or kidney failure; heatstroke/hypothermia (runners may drink approximately 1/3 or more of their body weight during the event) in 1989 radiated heat off the rocks measured hundred 114°F. Injuries from falling; snow hazards; effects of cold/hypothermia; wildlife hazards( rattlesnakes, bears, mountain lions etc.); risk associated with low sodium and chloride; altitude sickness; muscle necrosis; overuse injury; fatigue; and getting lost. Is that all?
 All right, why would anyone want to do this event? What would the motivation be? What about competitiveness? Could this be proving something to oneself?  Is this simply a masochistic character structure? Could this be comparing oneself to others? In any event, for me, the completion of this run was a benchmark or marker. I considered myself an ultra runner after this event. I now had a place in history for this run and also for having a buckle from the Tevis. Steve, a friend, told me that only about 40 some people had buckles in both events. So, within five years, I went from a non-runner to 100 mile runner. Much of my success I attributed to my ride and tie experience.
A little more about David Zabriskie the vegan Tour de France bike rider.  I want to share with you his dinner meal: white rice or pasta, salad with leafy greens, vegetables-including broccoli, spinach, carrots, and beets. Now that dinner doesn’t sound too bad. I would like to know the amounts or portions. Is anyone ready to become a Vegan?

0 comments:

Post a Comment