Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Treating Achilles and the Unconscious
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Treating Achilles and the Unconscious

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end."– Ursula K. Le Guin

In 1996, at age 44 Secretariat entered a 30 km trail run  called  Run on the Sly . During that run, Secretariat was running with a group of runners one of which was   Mo. They were running together until they reached   this steep Hill. Secretariat continued running while Mo’s group stopped to walk it. At that point she called out to Secretariat and called him “Stud Muffin.” Incidentally, Stud Muffin went on to win that race. Currently, he told me that he can’t find that trophy because it’s somewhere in his house. If anyone knows about the whereabouts of the trophy please let us know.
This past Saturday, Secretariat and I ran about a 14 mile trail run in preparation for our 23 miler this coming Saturday. What was different about last Saturday was that my Achilles remained in my unconscious for the most part. I ran the hills and did not worry about “saving” myself during the run. So that   trail run was significantly more enjoyable.
 For the past 2 ½ years or so I was unconsciously caring around a burden or anchor that weighed me down. It is now clear how much of an anchor it has been. The weight now seems to be off my shoulders during my runs. It just goes to show you how issues that are in your unconscious can affect you in a negative way.  I continue to stretch, employ hydrotherapy and ice to my Achilles but it does not seem to be as big a deal as it was. This trail run next Saturday will be interesting as I will know quickly about my anchor.
On the left Tony (AKA Secretariat, Alpha , Stud Muffin and Sadist). Call me want you want beat me if you can!!! Frank's on the right.
 On another note I’m going to change Secretariat’s name to Alpha. Alpha was his father’s name. Tony is like his dad during competition. He hates to lose regardless of the physical sports activity. As a consequence, he is tough and does very well. However, he has this sadistic quality of teasing and making fun of his friends. During our run he told me that I was “soft” so I called him Alpha and we both laughed. Later that evening at our NFL football pot luck party, I told the story to Debbie and she agreed that Alpha is a good description. Randall and Diane joined Lon and Cheryl, Chris and Michelle and Linda and I at the party. After the food and the 49er game, we did some cross training by dancing the cha-cha. Sunday, Alpha and Debbie are hosting the 49er and Atlanta Falcon game.
This week, the plan is for Alpha and I to do   short trail runs in preparation for Saturday’s 23 miler. Incidentally, Tony a.k.a., Secretariat a.k.a., Alpha a.k.a.,   Stud Muffin are names that fit this athlete very well.
Take my advice, keep moving and run for your life as its good for you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment