Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Exercise, Health and the Super Bowl
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Friday, February 8, 2013

Exercise, Health and the Super Bowl

Part 3   continued:
Choices are the hinges of destiny."– Pythagoras
 These 12 lifestyle patterns appeared in studying the generation of 100 –year-olds: 1.Don’t smoke or stop 2.Drink less alcohol 3.Keep weight steady 4.Eat fewer calories 5.Eat fruits and vegetables 6. Take your vitamins 7.Exercise regularly 8.Sleep well 9 Challenge your mind 10. Stay positive in attitude 11. Don’t let stress get you 12. Stay friendly and social. Remember, about 70% of our health can be attributed to   your  lifestyle choices Further, the   unfortunate, deadly  health consequences  for men include the following::heart attack, cancer ,accidents, stroke   copd and diabetes . For women heart disease, cancer, stroke, copd, diabetes and Alzheimer’s are leading causes of death in the U.S.
Which of these lifestyle changes are the most difficult to follow and why is that? If you can assess the answer, then you have an opportunity to change and are more .likely to live longer than the current mortality rate in the U.S.  I recently thought about living longer and the number of people that I would more than likely out live.  I, unfortunately, know a number of individuals and friends that might not be around.  For me, making friends with younger people is not a bad idea. Both my mother and Alpha’s and Penny’s told us that being around younger people was a good thing. At times, more so than not, older folks seem to talk about their poor health, aches, pains, medications, what they can’t do, not feeling well or illness. Believe me, if you’ve experienced that or been around old or ill people, in your life, that’s a negative because it’s an energy drain. My father was a juvenile diabetic so I know.  Remember number 10 “stay positive in attitude.
For me, number one is not smoking is easy since I haven’t smoked since young adulthood and at the time I did not do much of that either. Number two drink less alcohol is easy for me also. For the last 5 to 10 years, I have been drinking less and less alcohol. And even when I was drinking alcohol   I only drank it sporadically. Currently, I may take a sip of beer or wine from Linda’s glass and that only happens once in a very great while. I can’t remember the last time I had a bottle of beer or a full glass of wine.
I’ve talked with Alpha about longevity and told him that expect to be running with him when we get old. Last year, he started saying no to drinking a beer after our trail runs. In fact I can’t remember exactly when he actually stopped having a beer after our trail runs. More recently, he’s even given up drinking a Coke which he initially substituted for the beer. On top of that, I’ve seen him eating a nutritious health bar, fruit or drinking coconut water. Lately, I kid him about getting healthier and of course offer him some sweet thing like a cookie after our running.
Good luck Alpha on your 21 mile trail run Saturday. Unfortunately, I’m resting. Remember, keep moving and run for your life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment