Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Exercise,Health and the Super Bowl
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Monday, February 4, 2013

Exercise,Health and the Super Bowl

"Be happy. It's one way of being wise."– Colette
 I have some thoughts and ideas about exercise and food intake. I just read some statistics regarding the ingestion of food during the Super Bowl. I didn’t write them down but the numbers were huge as far as snacks etc. it is no wonder why many corporations want to advertise during this event. And further, they know that some people care more about the special and unique advertisements than they do about the actual game. Are you one of them that would rather watch the commercials rather than the game itself?
I recently heard these statistics regarding exercise and health in a continuing education class I took last Friday. The instructor stated that 30 minutes of brisk daily exercise benefits health. 60 minutes of brisk daily exercise is necessary to prevent weight gain while 90 minutes of brisk physical activity will keep the lost weight off. Once again, that doesn’t seem like an inordinately amount of time to spend on oneself.  Notice, brisk daily exercise can be walking at roughly a 4 mph pace. For those of you concerned about distance, check out this website: map my run.com to assist in miles covered. Remember, one doesn’t have to run to accomplish brisk exercise. I get it and I realize that running is difficult and that there are a number of other substitutes that can be used instead. In any event, the activity that you take must number one1. Have a perceived benefit.  2. The activity should be fun, safe, cheap or inexpensive and fit into your busy schedule 3. Walking can be used. Check out this website for assistance: shape up.org.  Don’t forget to include flexibility or muscular strength training as well.
Part 2 to be continued
Saturday, I ran the Jed Smith 50 km race( I medaled).  I have been running this race for the past decade and use it for training for my next ultra which Is Way Too Cool.  Per the good news, I was a little under trained as far as distance is concerned but my time was faster this year than last. Also, my Achilles didn’t bother me. I was fortunate enough to have my friends Alpha, Madhu and Chris run with me. Of the six loops Alpha ran 4, Madhu ran 3 and Chris ran 2. However on the last loop, I was accompanied by everyone.
I ran the first three loops well but then started to tire. Chris was especially helpful in the last loop reminding me to keep my head up to assist in relaxing my neck and shoulders. He also reminded me to keep my arms moving. There was one man who passed me on the last half of the last loop. I mistakenly thought he was in my age group but later learned at the finish that he was in Alpha’s age group. After the event, we stopped for treats at Starbucks and Baskin-Robbins for our awards. It is so neat to have good friends who enjoy similar activities. I am lucky.
On Sunday, Linda and I hosted the Super Bowl. We had a potluck celebration with many friends. Too bad the 49’ers lost. I’m tired from Saturday’s run. Today, I’m off to a continuing education class.

0 comments:

Post a Comment