Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Yoga is Good
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Yoga is Good

  
"You learn to speak by speaking, to study by studying, to run by running, to work by working; in just the same way, you learn to love by loving."

– St. Francis de Sales
  Yoga is good for you

 As an ultra-marathoner, it’s not surprising that I support and recommend running for mental and physical health. And, I also believe that trail running is more advantageous than road running. It’s no secret that I average about 50 miles a week of running. However, I know that not everyone is able to run. So, I have no trouble with finding other ways that can help with health.

For instance, in the Blue Shield of California Better Living Newsletter, Fall/Winter 2014, there was some information about discovering the benefits of yoga. The points made were as follows: 1.] Yoga can help reduce anxiety through breathing. When an individual reaches the “alpha state,” this means that it is a helpful way to help our body respond to stress. This state will allow muscles to begin to relax and as a consequence, it lowers heart rate and blood pressure as we begin breathing more easily. Slowing down heart rate and blood pressure are important for a healthy heart. 2] As we know, aging results in our joints becoming less fluid. And when one practices yoga, on a regular basis, this allows joints to become more lubricated and makes the many daily tasks of movements easier to perform. Lubricate your joints and move more easily. 3] Unfortunately, falling is a leading cause of injury among older adults. In fact, one in three adults 65 or older falls. Yoga encourages slow, careful movement that can strengthen muscles. And supposedly the result is better balance, which can help prevent falling.

 On a personal note, even though my muscles are strong, I sometimes fall when trail running. It might be a tree root or rock camouflaged by leaves that pops up and gets me. Since I know that I might fall, especially when I’m tired,  daydreaming and do not pick up my feet, I run with two handheld water bottles for my protection( to break my fall). Maybe, yoga would cut down on my falling or tripping?


I must admit that so far I haven’t taken advantage of learning yoga. That’s something I’m willing to consider. There are no negative side effects of learning yoga. In fact, at times, my sister will do a yoga pose and see if I can do likewise (I smile to myself when I imitate her). In any event, yoga or not, keep moving, laughing, smiling, loving, bonding and appreciating.

0 comments:

Post a Comment