Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Running in the Redwoods, Woodside 35K
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Monday, April 16, 2012

Running in the Redwoods, Woodside 35K

Running in the Redwoods- Part 1
 On the 14th, Secretariat and I ran a 35 km trail run in Woodside, California.   Although the morning temperature was cool, it warmed and was comfortable during the run. In other words, the weather was perfect.  Parts of the trail were wet, but that did not interfere nor take away from running in the redwood environment. The day was serene and spiritual.  I cannot easily recall   another trail that was more beautiful.
I divided the run into four parts.   Section one was practically all uphill for about 6 miles.  I wore a heart rate monitor and kept my VO2, primarily in the 90% range.  Keeping my heart rate that high was a test to see if I would be compromised later on during the run.  The   next section, part two, was approximately 6 miles and was easier as the trail had more gentle ups and downs. At the end of this section there was a turnaround.
Just prior to reaching the turnaround I saw Secretariat running toward me. .  He remarked that I looked good.  I said to him   “I am feeling good, wait for me.”  He replied “I am slowing down.”  Should I believe him?  Would he allow me to catch him?  I do not think that is in his DNA. I reached the turnaround point, got supplies, and headed back in search of Secretariat.
  I eventually reached the last aid station (section 4) but Secretariat was nowhere to be seen.  I refilled my water bottles, took some GU and proceeded down that last section.  I was impressed with myself as to how I handled that difficult and tough section earlier. I ran that section easily, and I did not run hard nor beat myself up going down the trail since I had not trained running down hill with that steep grade for such a long distance.
To be continued- Did I catch Secretariat?

0 comments:

Post a Comment