Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Get off the Couch, Beer, Ed Budde and Keep Moving
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Get off the Couch, Beer, Ed Budde and Keep Moving

"Perseverance is a great element of success. If you only knock long enough and loud enough at the gate, you are sure to wake up somebody."– Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
 To begin, we all know how difficult it is to wake up in the morning, to leave the bed or get off the couch, put on your running clothes and shoes, leave the house and begin your run. I’m sure everyone has experienced difficulty at some time or another before going out for your run. Today was one of those days per Secretariat. He indicated that he had to force himself to leave the house. How does one force himself to leave the house? It goes back to your thinking and your decision-making process. Nike has a good saying “just do it.” I agree, tell yourself whatever you need to but just do it. First, push yourself to get in the standing position. Two, then put 1 foot in front of the other and continue. If you have negative thoughts, challenge them and reframe when necessary. If you say “I’m too tired” replace with “I will feel better and have more energy, I guarantee it.” Don’t forget to keep moving.
While running Monday on the 1960 Olympic trails near the Homewood Ski Resort, Secretariat admitted he did not like the taste of beer. All these years, I have seen him either with a beer in his hand or engaged in conversation such as “I brought the beer” or” it is your turn to bring the beer.” Even this year during the Jed Smith 50 K., he got out ahead of me on one of the loops and had a beer at one of the aid stations. During the subsequent loop, he was looking forward to having another beer and was disappointed when that pretty woman wasn’t there to give him a beer. All these years I was under the impression that he liked his beer. So when he told me he didn’t like the taste I was surprised. He certainly fooled me. Occasionally I will have a beer but generally not after a run since I’m already dehydrated.
From Secretariat: I guess I need to give a bit of a explanation here. Frank would have you believe I always had a beer in my hand truth is I maybe drank 2 or 3 a week and I hardly ever had beer in my refrigerator at home. About a month ago after having a colonoscopy they found I had a Ischemic colitis. This can be caused by long distance running. So I did some research and found it had to do with hydration. Also that alcohol can inflame it. So I told Frank I was quitting drinking beer. So that brings us to the run at Tahoe. Frank ask me if I missed my beer I said no I really never liked the taste of it anyways. It mostly was a social thing. I also knew Frank would get a good laugh out of my contradictive answer.
I want to plug an ice cream store called Aloha in South Shore at Lake Tahoe. Debbie, Secretariat, Linda and I stopped there after dinner Monday evening. Our waitress recommended that establishment and she was right. Make no mistake about it we all like our ice cream and do not require an excuse to indulge.
On another note, I just got off the phone with Ed Budde the X NFL star of the Kansas City Chiefs. Ed has just been elected to the Michigan Athletic Hall of Fame and will be inducted later this month. Congratulations Ed, the honor is well deserved. I frequently use one of Ed’s quotes “keep moving.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment