Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Overcoming Polio,Trail Running and Kigali Library
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Overcoming Polio,Trail Running and Kigali Library

"I AM A RUNNER because I run. Not because I run fast. Not because I run far. I AM A RUNNER because I say I am. And no one can tell me I'm not."
John Bingham, \
I just received a letter from Dr. Don Nichols. I met Don at Oakland Community College in the early part of the 1970s, while Don was Dean of Students  and I was an Assistant Professor  and working on my PhD.  Don’s story is inspiring as well as interesting. For instance, Don was diagnosed with polio at the age of three and had a number of successful corrective surgeries at 11 years of age. Don was thankful for the aid he received from the March of Dimes.
 So to tell you a little bit about this man’s character, guess what he did? He learned to ride a bike, in his later years, and rode from Detroit to Florida in order to raise money for the March of Dimes and in some way pay them back for that earlier assistance. And, he did complete the trip and raise money in the process.
Although not able to run long distances, this 75-year-old man runs 5 miles to keep in shape and to be physically active. So for his 75th birthday, he increased the mileage to 7.5 miles for celebration. Even though it took him 2 ½ hours to complete this distance, he was successful despite the dreary drizzly day. He did it and congratulations go to him. By the way that was the longest distance he has ever run.
Don’s new project is raising money for the Kigali library in Rwanda. Don writes “The library is dedicated to promoting reconciliation and forgiveness as a result of the genocide there in 1994 which took the lives of almost 1,000,000 people.”
Read more about Dr. Don Nichols http://nonprofit.davenport.edu/70nichols/drnicholsbio-photo.html
Those that want to help can e-mail Don at ddnichol@gmail.com. To receive updates on the project one can go to KigaliLibrary.org.
 Secretariat and I hit the trail yesterday I and we called that tapering. Today Joan and I did a short trail run and plan on running a longer trail run tomorrow in order to get her ready for her first marathon. Remember, keep moving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment