Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Benefits of Trail Running-Inspiration,Health and Friendship
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Monday, September 9, 2013

Benefits of Trail Running-Inspiration,Health and Friendship


"Be generous, be delicate, and always pursue the prize."
– Henry James

 

One of the reasons that I run is because of all the fun that I have on the trail. Last Thursday, Chris, Tony and I hit the trail in the morning. Tony, said he was tired from Wednesday’s long trail run. I’ve learned, over the years, that I can not always trust what Tony says regarding being tired. We finished our warm-up and Tony reiterated being tired. That was all I that I needed to hear, as I took off and started running . I knew that he would either start running with me or do something to get my attention .  I didn’t know how tired he was, but  I was  going to soon  find out.

Running ,for maybe 30 to 45 seconds, I didn’t hear Tony  or Chris behind me. I quickly stopped and turned around looking for them . As they came into view, I found them both, laughing as they had stopped to watch me run off by myself. I found that funny as well,  as I laughed too. They caught up and we walked, laughed and talked. After a few minutes, I reached a place on the trail, which provided an option for me, of either going straight and continuing on the trail or cutting off- for a shortcut .

I’m thinking that I wanted a longer run , so I’m going to continue straight down the trail. Sure enough, both Chris and Tony said were going short and began heading toward the turn off They asked me where I was going to run and I told them We parted. I continued down the trail towards third gate and then turned to do my loop. At this juncture, I’m running a slight downhill. After a brief amount of time, maybe 10 minutes or so I look up and I see them running up the trail toward me. Chris said it was his idea to meet me. Once again we started laughing.

This brief episode allows the reader to see the silliness, the competitiveness and the friendship that exists with  my running comrades . We are competitive and we laugh a lot, both of which are good for our souls.

Thursday’s television show featured Don Freeman, DC as our guest. Don  is also one of the main principles on the trail runner nation.com podcast. Don shared his views about the ultra running community as well as his background. He told us about one of his most difficult runs-The Angels Crest 100 , which he completed in 2011. He talked about his lack of planning that resulted in numerous problems for him. However, he also talked about the running community, the friendships, the giving,  the helping, and learning that goes on. There were a number of individuals that assisted him during that adventure. Don liked the above quote by Henry James so much that I presented it to him after the Watch the interview for inspiration, knowledge and enjoyment. Inspiration with Don Freeman DC, Trail Runner Nation http://youtu.be/tCpbYF7nHhU

 

The bottom line is to keep moving, laughing, smiling and deep breathing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment