Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Trail Running Excitement
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Monday, September 30, 2013

Trail Running Excitement


"To change one's life: 1. Start immediately. 2. Do it flamboyantly. 3. No exceptions."
– William James

 

Last Thursday, I ran one of my favorite 10 mile loops. After about 45 minutes, I saw, on the trail, near Brown’s Bar, a recent kill. Lying there was a deer carcass partially devoured. More than  likely it was by a mountain lion. Needless to say, my senses heightened. And, I became much more alert to my surroundings. I immediately started to scan both sides of the trail while listening for noises. I even started looking over my shoulder to determine if I was being followed. At one time, my wife convinced me to carry a knife. However, years ago, I discontinued that practice.

I thought I ran well on Thursday, but did not give any credit to a potential lurking mountain lion. I gave the credit instead to a  colder temperature, feeling good and to my excellent conditioning. I also wanted to be home in time for my interview with Thom Darden, regarding my mental toughness project. All -American Darden also played professional football and was all Pro for the Cleveland Browns. Thom has  wonderful stories , playing  for the Wolverines and the Browns.  This intelligent football man is still at the top of his game finding capital for companies. You will hear more about him on  later posts.

Friday, I did my cross training with the elliptical for about 45 minutes or so. I’ve been using the elliptical for the last three or four months while catching up on various movies. Watching a movie is a good distraction while using this machine.

On Saturday, I ran Thursday’s loop. Before arriving at the Brown’s Bar  kill spot, I began to think about a  number of possibilities , if I found an unfriendly mountain lion. I thought about different exit strategies as well as looking for a club to defend myself.

To be continued

0 comments:

Post a Comment