Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Unions and Separations
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Friday, July 31, 2020

Unions and Separations

 

I met, in 1997, a number of super first-rate athletes during my Ride and Tie competitions. These Ride and Tie athletes are world-class runners and equestrians. These competitions are made up of two partners and a horse that take place in the mountains of California, Oregon and Washington.  There are many stories of rugged trails, steep climbs with terrific competition. In the competition, one person rides and the other runs. The runner and rider make exchanges throughout the race.  The team starts together and completes the race together.  This essay relates to 5 of my dear Ride and Tie friends.

Bob Edwards was roughly 10 years of age, or older, than me when we initially met. Our first event was the Bloomfield Boogie.  He was an excellent runner and I found out he was selling Arabians in Arroyo Grande. We made many exchanges in subsequent Ride and Tie competitions, running events and equestrian races. In the Bay Area, my young neighbor Sandy was looking for a competitive horse. There was Bob with his horses. Today, Sandy is still a neighbor.

Bob was a lot of fun. He was with me when I was looking to purchase a home in the foothills. We had great chemistry during the Ride and Tie events. We didn’t have to talk much about exchanges and so forth. If we didn’t make an error, like running past the horse, we did well. Unfortunately, much later, Bob’s lead rope got caught around his leg, while training a horse, and he was injured. After surgery, he became aware that one leg was shorter than the other. Bob could not run competively after that injury. During my Western States run, Bob and Jim were to meet me at the other side of the American River aid station with another pair of running shoes. They weren’t there so I ran on. However, Bob was at Robie Point with a number of other friends like Tony. That was special. Hey Bob, I miss you and your friendship.

I also met Dr. Jim Steere the head veterinarian for Ride and Tie.  Jim had a colorful Ride and Tie and Tevis history.  In the early days of the Tevis, Jim, the veterinarian, pulled Wendell Robie during one Tevis ride. That was Jim’s last Tevis veterinary experience. Robie couldn’t tolerate Jim’s action.

 Jim was in Denmark as a Fulbright Scholar .The liberalism of the Danes got his attention. He stood behind their liberal policy regarding assisted suicide.  He was familiar with suicide. Jim was very helpful to me regarding my Tevis days and also was our head veterinarian for our Coolest Ride and Tie. I have a chapter about Jim in my first book “It Has Nothing To Do With Age.” Jim has a terrific life story.  I had a phone conversation with him a few days before his death. Jim was a super hero on so many fronts. I miss him a lot.

I first met Warren Hellman at the Mustang Classic Ride and Tie. However, I spent more time with him on the 2000 Tevis.  We rode together for the last 50 to 60 miles on that ride. Warren was a terrific athlete. He was one of four individuals to have completed the Tevis, Western States, and the 100 mile Swanton Pacific Ride and Tie. I am also a member of that club.

Warren, according to Kathy Perry, had more money than God. Warren ran Lehman Brothers in his late 20s and essentially took over companies. He owns Sugar Bowl and according to one story, put off a Levi stock transaction because it interfered with a Ride and Tie. Warren, didn’t talk about his wealth and would arrive at the events unshaven in a wrinkled shirt. However, for events in the San Diego area, he would arrive with his partner on his private plane. Another competitor employee would transport the horses.

Dianne Feinstein, for one, gave a eulogy at his Memorial service. The San Francisco Chronicle had a massive story about Warren’s life. He sponsors, to this day, a Bluegrass Festival concert in Golden Gate Park. He enjoyed playing the banjo with the superstar presenters. One can find the Warren Hellman Meadow in that park. Thank you Warren for your many contributions. You are certainly missed.

Jonathan Jordan was my partner in the Swanton Pacific 100 mile Ride and Tie. We had a blast during and after that event and I wrote in detail about it in my earlier referenced book.  I spent many days staying with him, Tera and the boys Ethan, Atticus and Elijah in Southern California. Jonathan, Terra and the boys came to Cool numerous times. We had exciting times with the Cool 50 K, Coolest Ride and Tie, and the Salmon Falls 50 K races. It was our tradition.

Jonathan, with his sweet Georgia charm, was also a San Diego defense attorney. We spent hours talking about his cases and I went with him to Redding for jail interviews regarding a mother that killed her new born. Jonathan and I also went to Palm Desert for a book presentation and we stayed with Jack Sholl. We had a ball and heard Jack’s and Joanne’s numerous Grace Kelly stories. I also have a chapter about the rower Jack in my first book.

 Jonathan and I also had numerous discussions regarding the political nature in this country. Sadly, Jonathan left us last year, likely a side effect of his cancer treatment, while running with Elijah on one of our familiar trails.  His son found him leaning beside an oak tree. I miss my dear friend Jonathan greatly.

Mark Richtman was a world-class runner. He has numerous US records before and after turning 60. Mark and I were division winners In the Western States 2002 run. Tony and I, during one of our Jed Smith’s run, saw Mark run by us as he was going for another US 50 mile record. After the run, Mark was with Megan Arbogast a world-class runner from Oregon along with Greg Thornley. We said hi. Greg is now the Race Director for the Western States 100. Mark and I have our names engraved on the Coolest Ride and Tie trophy the same number of times. Unfortunately, Mark was last seen, last year, in his kayak paddling in the Pacific. I miss you Mark.

Tom Christofk was a runner, endurance and Ride and Tie competitor. Prior, he was a rower in college and then left for the Marines. Tom was very helpful when I left the Bay Area and came to the foothills. He gave me a referral to Greg’s Echo Valley Ranch Feed store. In the 2000 Tevis, Greg had a grin on his face as he was leaving the Last Chance Vet check. I did not waste any time at that Vet check. I caught up to Greg just after No Hands Bridge. Shortly, I had a grin my face as I went by Greg placing in front of him on that ride. Tom also gave me a referral to Kris a veterinarian, karate expert and maker of beer. Kris also became a friend. Tom, Tony and I rode the Tevis trail, as well as a few endurance rides prior to the 2000 Tevis. A number of my Ride and Tie friends did not finish that Tevis. Thank you Tom for your introductions and friendship. Tom never stopped competing. I write that with a smile.

Every December we have a birthday run for Tom and Tony.  In 2018, Tom, with an ALS diagnosis, could walk and talk during that get together. Last December, Tom was in a wheelchair that had a motor that he could maneuver with buttons. That was the last time that I saw Tom. Tom left us last week. I miss you and your competitiveness Tom. 

Unions are frequent and separations are inevitable and follow. Some unions are significant and last longer than others. My Ride and Tie experience with so many neat people made my life better. That sport was a whole lot of fun. Teamwork with a partner and horse are like no other. So many stories, so many experiences and so many good times. However, separations are part of life and always happen.  With some separations, sadness follows. Thank goodness, I have numerous fond memories of the stories of my friends as well.

PS

Jack Sholl, Megan Arbogast, Greg Thornley, Greg Kimler, Jonathan Jordan and others like Tim Twietmeyer, Tom Johnson, Kathy Perry, Julie Sur, Dan Barger, Cathy Rohm and others were guests on Tony and my TV show. Catch the shows on YouTube.


0 comments:

Post a Comment