Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Confronting Achilles with NSAIDs and Ice Today and Tomorrow
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Friday, March 23, 2012

Confronting Achilles with NSAIDs and Ice Today and Tomorrow

"Choices are the hinges of destiny."– Pythagoras
Shortly after completing the Way Too Cool 50 K. on March 10, Secretariat left for Southern California to visit his 96-year-old mother.  At that point, I decided to rehab my swollen Achilles.  I have had this overuse Achilles issue since 2010. Generally it begins to bother me after the first three hours or so of a trail run. Then, my discomfort comes and goes.  After a run, treatment includes incorporating ice and ibuprofen.  I ice for about half an hour every hour or so until bedtime.  I take 600 to 800 mgs after my run and again before bedtime.   By the next morning, I am generally good to go again. Since 2011, I have limited my trail runs to 50 Ks. or less.  I have remarked, to Secretariat, many times, that I felt much better running the shorter distances.
This time, for the past two weeks, I have incorporated the following rehab program: 1. I have limited my daily trail or treadmill runs to 5 miles. 2.  I have walked the uphills. 3.  I take 400 mgs of ibuprofen every four hours after my trail run until bed time 4.  I use an orthopedic boot daily 3 to 5 hours.
This program was an attempt to reduce my Achilles inflammation. So far, I still have inflammation. Once Secretariat returns, I plan to run longer distance trail runs and evaluate.
Another way to rehab is no running for 2 to 4 weeks.  At this point, I am not interested in that plan, or considering cortisone injections or possibly surgery.  I do not know anyone who has had successful injections or surgery. I’ll see you all on the trail.

0 comments:

Post a Comment