Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Way Too Cool 50K, Barbie Benton, Hugh Hefner
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Way Too Cool 50K, Barbie Benton, Hugh Hefner


Way Too Cool Part Two:
Upon reaching the recycling center, the aid station, after completing 20- 21 miles, I was met by Debbie Brickel and Marty Cullenward.  Thank you Debbie for coming to the aid station and being there assisting.  Janet Pucci’s husband Ray thanked me for making sure that the water was turned on at the aid station.   I did not take much time at the aid station. Marty, Secretariat, and I then headed in the direction of Brown’s bar.  Pretty soon, Randall and Diane met us on the trail.  Randall made sure I was hydrating, had salt tablets, and had food for fuel.  Shortly afterwards, Carrie Barrett showed up on the trail and inquired about Sue.  I told her that Sue was behind me. Carrie indicated that she would continue on the trail and look for her.

We eventually reached, Goat Hill the next aid station.  This relatively steep switchback trail was correctly named especially if you are a goat.   Once there, we were met by Debbie Brickel.  As it turned out, the aid station captain Norm Klein was Debbie’s mother’s doctor.   Debbie did not get an opportunity to talk to Dr. Klein this year.  Norm’s wife, Helen was an outstanding ultra run setting numerous records. Also of note, their daughter Barbie Benton was, at one time, Hugh Hefner’s girlfriend.  

     After leaving Goat Hill, some 26 or 27 miles into the run, the serenade began.  Randall and Diane are performers who enjoy singing and playing. Their medley included songs from the Beatles, Beach Boys, Eagles and numerous others.
 It was a treat to have a diversion during that part of the run.  I was tired, and my heart rate was now in the low to mid 80 % aerobically and obviously I was running at a slower pace. I did not join in the singing, because I wanted to conserve energy.  But, I was listening to the words singing along in my head the best I could.  That part of the run was lots of fun.  I told Secretariat that I wanted him to take singing lessons in order to learn more songs so he could entertain me while we ran.
I got plenty of encouragement from Randall about my running pace.  I thanked him and told him he was a good mother.  Often during the run, I looked at my watch and calculated the number of many miles I had completed attempting to determine or predict my finishing time. At no time did I think about not completing this run as my energy level was good.  My Achilles was bothersome but I simply ran smart and did not attempt to aggravate it anymore. I ran as fast as necessary.  My goal was to complete the run without injury, and I did that.  My finishing time this year was about the same as last year and I was okay with that.  Running 31 miles was a good accomplishment. 
Upon reaching the finish, there was plenty of excitement with people milling around.  I got a slice of pizza and a Coke and was happy. I am always happy and smiling when I have completed these races.  I said hi to Veloyce the Monster of Massage.   I talked with my other friends and chatted about the run. After I picked up my third-place finish award, we left for the market to pick up ice cream for the dinner party that evening.
Linda prepared a main dish while Secretariat and Debbie, Randall, Diane, Carrie, Wendy, Chris and Mickey complemented the potluck.  We ate, drank and laughed.  All was good.  My recovery was good, especially after taking ibuprofen and icing. Secretariat was tired, as it was a long day for him also. Hooray, another great running experience completed. Thank you all for being there and sharing the experience with me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment