Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Eight (8) Principles for Finding the Fountain of Youth- Part 17
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Monday, July 9, 2012

Eight (8) Principles for Finding the Fountain of Youth- Part 17

"No one can really pull you up very high — you lose your grip on the rope. But on your own two feet you can climb mountains."– Louis Brandeis
Eight (8) Principles for Finding the Fountain of Youth- Part 17
After leaving Robinson Flat, the temperature began to rise; it climbed in the direction of triple digits.  It was fairly common and typical for temperatures to exceed 100°F, this time of year.  It was extremely hot; in the canyons along with the stifling- heavy air between Last Chance and Michigan Bluff. This section of the run was extremely difficult, as runners are spread out. It is hot; I am thirsty, and beginning to tire. Luckily, and I mean luckily, I did not experience any medical problems such as altitude sickness, gastrointestinal conditions, kidney failure, heat stroke, or hypo or hyperthermia, injuries from falling, muscle necrosis, overuse injury, fatigue, poison oak, nor do I get lost.  These are typical physical problems and likely for runners in this extremely grueling event. It was also common as I saw runners puking, nursing injuries, and lying alongside the trail and just out of gas. A quote by Chuck Gabri “run like a turtle and drink like a fish” fits.
It was extremely important and necessary to keep my core cooled during this unusually long sweltering, grueling day. This meant, when I reached an aid station, I quickly grabbed ice cubes, put them in a baggie, and placed the cool pack on my head and under my cap.  The fact that the ice cubes melted, did not matter. I was attempting to cool my core. Another core cooling technique that I used was whenever there was water like in a stream; I took my hat off, soaked it in the stream and placed it back on my head.  It was important and necessary to consume eating 200 to 300 calories per hour.  I generally did not have difficulty with my stomach, and I was able to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, turkey sandwiches, GU20, ensure, water and salt tablets. One important and significant key was to maintain proper electrolyte and hydration balance. Too much or too little salt or water results in trouble. Remembering my 3 million functional sweat glands, I also kept the sun off my neck with a hat with an attachment that rested on my shoulders. I must have resembled a soldier in the foreign legion.
To be continued:

                  Depression is a Significant Health Risk
The following “general “information is provided by the National Inst. of Mental Health as pertaining to the differences in symptoms of depression for men, women,  and older adults.  To illustrate, men are more likely to be very tired, irritable and even angry.  They may even lose interest in work, activities they once enjoyed, and likely have sleep problems as well.
Women on the other hand, experience symptoms related to biological, life cycle and hormonal factors. They also, experience symptoms of sadness, worthlessness, and guilt.
Older adults may be less likely to admit to feelings of sadness or grief.  They are also more likely to have medical conditions like heart disease or stroke, which can contribute to depression.  Further, certain medications may also have side effects that even contribute to depression.
Children, on the other hand, may pretend to be sick, refuse to go to school, cling to a parent or worry a parent may die. Older children or teens may cause trouble at school and be irritable.
It is important to get a professional diagnosis and treatment since depression has major and significant implications throughout one’s life, especially in old age.  More health related information to follow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment