Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Training for Randall's First Marathon
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Training for Randall's First Marathon

"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars or sailed an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit."– Helen Keller
Well on Saturday, July 28, Randall, Diane and I did our long trail run of about 22 miles. We started our journey early in the morning and had an aid station at the firehouse in Cool. Thank you Randall and Diane for providing that aid station. During the run, Randall told me that Diane planed to join him on his first marathon in October. She recently decided to do it and that will be her first as well. Going from my house to Cool went well as the morning temperature was still reasonable. However, the return trip was a different story. I left the aid station at a walk since they were not ready to leave just yet. Randall advised me to go ahead and they would catch me.
While walking, I finished my sandwich that Randall had made lovingly. Then I just started running. Heading towards Highway 49, I looked behind but did not see either one of them. I did the same while running down the Quarry Trail. Still, there was no sight of them. I thought they would have caught me by now, but they didn’t. Then I reached the river trail or the Western States-Tevis trail on my way towards Brown’s Bar. After reaching Brown’s Bar, I wondered where they were. Did something happen to them was one thought that I had. Meanwhile, the temperature rose significantly. I knew that hydration could be an issue. I also knew that the longer and further that I ran the more unlikely they would catch me. I passed runners coming in the opposite direction as well as a male rider that I knew. I was getting more thirstier and tired as time went on. I eventually reached the 16 mile marker on the Western States Trail and began the ¾ mile walk to my home. By this time, I was exhausted from the heat. Not having ample water was also a contributing factor.  I was looking forward to having my smoothie when I reached home.
Roughly, 15 or so minutes later I saw Randall and Diane coming down the street towards my home. Randall couldn’t believe that I was home and waiting for them.  He even asked if I took a shorter trail.  
I hydrated a lot at home and an hour in a half later began to feel normal again. Of course a short nap worked wonders. Sunday, Linda, Nails Digger and I hit the trail again. I felt rested and ran well today. I was pleased with my recovery. As I told Randall, “I think of every run as a conditioning run, bar none.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment