Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Eight (8) Principles for Finding the Fountain of Youth - Part 20
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Friday, July 27, 2012

Eight (8) Principles for Finding the Fountain of Youth - Part 20


"You miss 100% of the shots you never take."– Wayne Gretsky
Yesterday, I ran a short 5 mile loop with Digger our short -haired white terrier. Today, Linda, her Arabian Nails, Digger and I are going out on the trail for a run and a ride. Tomorrow, I plan on joining Randall and Diane for a trail run. Randall has entered his first marathon in October so he wanted to get in some heavy miles for preparation. I suggested we run to Cool and back which will give us at least 22 miles. He’s planning on dropping a vehicle off in Cool and that will be our aid station. Just the other day Randall wanted me to explain the difference between an aid station and a rest stop to Diane which I did (inside joke).

Eight (8) Principles for Finding the Fountain of Youth - Part 20
Periodically, I had to step up on a scale to be weighed. My body weight was measured before the run, and, at times, during the run.  If I had lost 7% of body weight, race management would have pulled me from the race because this suggested a significant depletion of body fluids and possible loss of gastrointestinal and musculoskeletal function.  At Rucky Chucky there was a scale.  I soon found out that I was unable to step up on this scale because my quads and hamstrings were shot and hurting.  Fortunately, my pacer Chuck held me up right by grabbing the back of my shirt, pushing me toward and up on the scale. If he had not held and pushed me, I do not think I could have easily stepped up on the scale.  Lucky me, I was within a favorable weight range and therefore I was able to continue the race. 
 During the grueling segments of this run and they were many and they were frequent, I employed positive self talk or affirmations two psychological principles. I told myself  that I was making progress by putting 1 foot in front of the other and  repeated “I can, I can.“ if there was a tree, ahead,  I said,” run to that next tree, run to that next tree” and so on. This mental toughness or suffering cannot be overlooked during this run.  How or the manner in which I thought as well as what I thought about was significant. Keeping my thinking positive was important as the mind-body process never stops working.

To be continued:

0 comments:

Post a Comment