Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Reframing,a Motivational Principle
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Reframing,a Motivational Principle

"I have always believed that whatever good or bad fortune may come our way we can always give it meaning and transform it into something of value."– Hermann Hesse
I just returned from my physical therapy appointment. My Achilles tendon has been bothering me for the past two years so I recently had an x-ray and MRI examination. The two impressions found tendinopathy, retro calcaneal fluid and bursitis. Luckily the ligaments are intact and I have no signs of a tear or stress fracture.
The treatment for the next three weeks focuses on reducing the inflammation in my Achilles tendon .This means running on flat and eliminating hills. Translated this means running on a treadmill, cross training in a pool, or running on a track. Stretching my Achilles tendon, applying ice, and cortisone treatments are other components of my rehabilitation. I’m not looking forward to the next three weeks but things could be remarkably worse.
Take for example my friend Randall. Last Saturday, he had retinal surgery and he has been on his side ever since. The doctor told him to remain still and horizontal so that he can heal. He will find out Thursday his prognosis. The likelihood of him completing his first marathon October 13th is questionable. As I told him “there are many more marathons for him to do. Follow the doctor’s recommendation so he doesn’t require a second surgery.” It’s much easier giving somebody else advice than doing the right thing for yourself at times.
Incorporating the principle of reframing comes into play here .For example; these next three weeks will allow me to take advantage of some of the machines at physical therapy to work on upper body and leg exercises thus changing my exercise routine. Changing one’s work out helps to defend against reaching various plateaus. As a result, I can now focus on healing and working on different muscle groups and become stronger in the process. Reframe and look for the silver lining. Don’t forget to keep moving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment