Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Trail Running Excitement Part 2
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Trail Running Excitement Part 2


Part 2

My thoughts also went back to a number of years ago , while running  between the 14 1/2 and the 15 mile marker on the Western states trail. At that time, I was running toward my home in the early afternoon sometime in the fall. The trail turned sharply and my thoughts went something like this “ what is a cat doing on the trail?” Then, before me, I saw a lioness and her two cubs. I immediately stopped. I looked at my obstacle, and wondered if I was the prey? To test my hypothesis, I slowly inched forward. As I did that the lioness did the same. I stopped. Quickly, one of the Cubs ran toward me and down into the gully. Thank goodness, the gully was in front of me. I was scared.

I thought, I better retreat. I backed up slowly still facing my adversary and was soon out of her sight. I looked for a tree limb for my weapon. I found my weapon , turned around and began to run away or in other words, to backtrack. I  knew about the flight or fight response and chose to flee. I quickly realized that my breathing was shallow and my running speed severely compromised as I frequently looked behind me and on the hillside of the trail. I didn’t know if she was following me. In fact, for the next hour or so, I retreated while continuing to scan for the enemy. I did not see her again, and only when I was real close to home allowed  my club to fall by the wayside. Believe me, I was terrified all the way home. I did feel relief when I came into my home and locked the door  behind me.

When I arrived at the kill spot Saturday, all I found were the remains-the bones of that deer. I must admit that my senses were alert during  the rest of my (Maine Bar) trail run. I ran well and once again attributed it to the temperature, my cross training and my conditioning. The first week in October,  I intend to run a 35 km race. I should do well.

Last Thursday’s TV guest on “It Has Nothing To Do With Age Or Gender ” was Keith Nesbitt of the Auburn City Council. Keith is bringing the Krazy Man to Auburn,  the endurance capital the world. In 2014, the plan, at the moment, is to have a two day event in September. On a Saturday, the intention  is to have: 1. A mile or so swim. 2. A 30 to 40 mile bike ride. 3. And roughly a half marathon trail run. After Saturday’s event, the participants can attend the Black and White Ball in Auburn. On Sunday, the plan is to:1. A mountain bike experience maybe to Michigan Bluff  2. An endurance ride back to Auburn.

Nothing is in cement that the moment, according to Keith. This two-day event could be completed by a single person( the Krazy Man ) or a five person team. Any perspective sponsor or volunteer can contact Keith at 530-320-2325.

In the meantime, don’t forget to keep moving, smiling, laughing, deep breathing and bonding.

 

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment