Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Jack Scholl,Rowing,Motivation,and Defense Mechanism
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Jack Scholl,Rowing,Motivation,and Defense Mechanism

Yesterday was quite the day. Early in the morning, I received word of interest in the publication of my book from the Wiley publishing company. An editor there is interested in how I’m going to market the book. So needless to say, I put a lot of energy into creating that draft. On top of that, Linda and I had a 12 o’clock meeting in Lake Tahoe. On the drive there, I am the driver and Linda my secretary. That went well as she took good notes. Later that evening, I continued working on the draft so I didn’t take time to write a blog.
Today, Tony and I ran about 4 to 5 miles on a tapering run. This is my last run until Sunday’s 20 K.  In the Oakland hills. Tony complained of being tired as the result of yesterday’s mowing and weeding. He tells me he uses motivation to get stuff done. Being finished is important to him. It didn’t matter that he got tired. He wanted to get “done “so he could drive to REI to purchase a new paddle for his new kayak. He wanted that paddle badly as he concluded his research. He is also delighted to find out how to make a foot rest for his kayak, rather simply and inexpensively. He is so pleased. I am happy for him. It is clear, from Tuesday’s kayak competition that his longer kayak is faster than mine. We competed against each other in a number of heats, employing different paddles and different kayaks. The final result is simply that his floating device is faster than mine. I beat him when I’m in his boat and he’s in mine. I am not going to buy another kayak just yet. My excuse or rationalization is that I’m going to get good cross training. I am going to have to work hard in an attempt to keep up with him. That means I am going to expend more energy and as a result receive a terrific workout in the process. It is clear that the defense mechanism of rationalization is just that. We can convince ourselves of anything that we want to. From Tony: I am glad that Frank has to work harder it just makes me work harder to make sure he does not catch me. On our 20K this weekend Frank has told me since I am 11 years younger I have to beat him by 11 min. I have not been able to do that yet but I will be trying!!!
Back to the book, with more detail. One person that I interviewed and found out about his unique competitiveness and toughness is Jack Scholl a world champion rower whose life is a most interesting story. He is a World War II veteran, has rung the Liberty Bell, and met royalty.  And that’s just part of the story. Would you believe he knew Princess Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier? Jack is one terrific guy a real gentleman and extremely good hearted. Just reading his story and understanding his motivation is worth the price of the book alone. You’ll just have to wait to read about Jack.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just checked out your blog! What great stories and inspiration! I really agree with the fact that it has nothing to do with age, if one is mentally determined, leads a healthy lifestyle and of course believes in themself they can do anything! It's great you're bringing such awareness and encouragement to people! :) Look up Paul Chek and Sean Croxten...think you would be able to network or share information.

Ericka

Post a Comment