Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Maria Shriver,Arnold Schwarzenegger,Divorce,Play and Stretching
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Maria Shriver,Arnold Schwarzenegger,Divorce,Play and Stretching

On this cloudy day, my dog Digger and I ran a short 5 mile trail training run. Even though it is cloudy, the temperature is about 60°F. I thought about Maria Shriver and Arnold Schwarzenegger while on the run. Sometimes it’s sad when couples separate and other times it’s the best thing for one or for both. If it is time for them to dissolve their marriage, then both have an opportunity to redefine their lives, go through the loss, and possibly come out with more ego strength in the process. I’ve seen that happen over and over in my clinical practice. A number of the athletes in my book experience loss and after some time each one became fulfilled. Read to find out how they did it. Sometimes, divorce is the best thing for each. There is no need for  Maria and Arnold to stay together because of the kids. I believe their youngest is in college or has already graduated. What held them together? We are likely to find out in the upcoming months.

Other thoughts that I had on my trail run included thinking about stretching and training. I employ a stretching routine both before putting on my running clothes (briefs, long sleeved shirt, cap, and Brooks running shoes) from my sponsor Empire shoes in Grass Valley. Once I leave the house, I walk and include a stretching routine suggested by Geno Ortiz a massage therapist who has his massage school on the big island of Hawaii. While on the big island, in 2009, he suggested the Bob Anderson book on Stretching. From that point on, stretching is part of my life. After my run, I incorporate both Geno’s ideas along with Bob Anderson’s on stretching. Geno also suggested that I incorporate plyometrics exercises which I do.

I ran across an article titled “A Celtic to Fans: To Get in Shape, Know the Drills”. This segment is written by Jen Murphy in the Tuesday, May 10 edition of the Wall Street Journal. This brief article is about 33-year-old Paul Pierce captain of the Boston Celtics. According to the article, Paul trains even harder as he ages. He has a program called Fit Club 34 and asks kids to pledge 60 minutes of physical activity per day. According to Pierce “I thought: what can I do to make a difference and help kids going through tough times? Remind them to play.” One keyword is play. Play is something that I did as a kid and it happens, as a rule, outdoors. You might remember  that as a kid ,time spent outdoors either playing hide go seek, simple Simon, playing catch with either a tennis ball, hardball or football, playing baseball or football in the street or at the playground , playing kickball, bike riding, or even tag. You have to remember laughing and having your mind clear of worry while playing. Being a kid is so precious if you’re allowed to play. Play is therapeutic. Have you heard of play therapy?

In my book, I write about play and having fun in the outdoors with physical activity. Every one of the athletes, in my book, incorporates play and enjoys fully their sport activity. Since we all played as kids and as Lew Hollander says something to the effect that he now plays more efficiently and is better at his play. In other words, go out play, be a kid, have fun, and enjoy your friends. Prescription 3 in my book “enrich your life by making friends, sharing interests, learning about others by becoming part of a new group. Learn more about training techniques tomorrow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment