Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Osma bin Laden, 9/11, and Mom
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Osma bin Laden, 9/11, and Mom

Good news at last! Osama bin Laden is dead. Hearing the news last night brought back memories from 9/11 almost 10 years ago. Prior, to hearing this news I am told about the passing of  Katie a woman that  attended Wayne elementary, Jackson junior high, and Denby high school with me in Detroit. I saw her at the 30th, 40th, and 50th high school reunion. She is a class officer and popular while in high school. One thing that stands out to me is that she is a good friendly person that I would’ve liked to known better. Do not put things off is a lesson to be learned. That is a hard lesson to learn .I felt sad hearing the news. It goes to show you that life is fragile and that things always change.
September of 2001 is a month of sorrow in part because of 9/11. My mother is in the hospital as a result of surgery due to a cardiac problem. She is 92 at the time and the surgery is considered successful but the patient miserable. She is not doing well and requires round-the-clock care. I fly out to be with her during her hospitalization in Maryland. I remember feeling guilty because I pushed for the surgery. I hoped that the surgery is going to prolong her life. I don’t want her to die. However, she didn’t recover well and a series of medical complications followed. To put it bluntly, she is miserable and loses her will to live. I feel helpless and sad that I cannot ease her pain and discomfort. Surgery is not always the answer. I didn’t think of the implications and ramifications of surgery that could follow a person at her age. Mother, I love you and miss you. Hearing about bin Laden and Katie brought back feelings of sorrow and memories of my mom.
I left Baltimore on 9/10 and returned to California. The morning of 9/11, I watched in horror and disbelief on television the tragedy of the day. I could not believe what I saw. I certainly wanted revenge and was happy to hear President Bush say what he said to Congress and our nation. I don’t remember if I knew about bin Laden prior to that day. But I admit that I’m pleased he got shot by our military. His death is not an end to terrorism but symbolically it is a good thing for this country. We finally got him.
On the 15th of September the World Ride and Tie championship is held in Eur Valley, California which is close to Truckee and Lake Tahoe. The event is 35 mountainous miles long. I didn’t have a partner for the event until Laura, the race manager, got us together sometime in September. Calvin is from Washington State and he brought the “borrowed” horse. I drove up to base camp and met Calvin on Friday the 14th. Calvin checked out some of the course and came up with a strategy that I agreed to. The first 2-3 miles is mostly uphill until you reach the flat area before the downhill. He suggested that I start out on the horse and ride until I reach that flat area. At that time, I didn’t realize the length or steepness at the beginning since I didn’t check it out. However, I told him that Friday okay with the strategy. I didn’t think anything more about it until race day.
Then came race day, the ride began. There are around 40 teams that day. With a lot of hollering excitement the race began. Whenever Skip Lightfoot is in a race he does a lot of yelling and hollering at the beginning. It’s a blast. So we are off at a gallop. I began passing lots of teams since many of the riders are getting off to tie their horse. I continue riding and riding up this steep difficult trail. At this point may be halfway up the trail, I do the idiotic thing. I get off my horse and tie it to a tree.  I am under the delusion that Calvin is going to see this unfamiliar “borrowed “horse tied to a tree. My rationale for getting off the horse is that I’m worried about Calvin being able to run this difficult distance. So now, I start running up this treacherous trail and reach the leveling off place where I am supposed to tie the horse. Lots of horses and teams are passing me. I look around behind me. Foolish me, I expect to see my partner coming on the horse. Now, what do I do? All right, I turn around and head back down the trail hoping to see Calvin on the horse. Do I see Calvin on the horse? No, I eventually find Calvin running up the trail. He is not looking for a tied horse and therefore does not see a tied horse. How could he?
Tomorrow, I will finish the stories. You might figure out the ending. I’m also thinking about Sunday’s run in the Oakland hills. Right now I am tired. This is not a good sign.

0 comments:

Post a Comment