Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Aging ,Immoratality,Tevis Cup, Ride and Tie, Horses,Dogs, Cats and Goats
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Monday, January 23, 2012

Aging ,Immoratality,Tevis Cup, Ride and Tie, Horses,Dogs, Cats and Goats


Part three
   As far as successful aging goes, do not forget about the importance or the role of four-legged critters in our lives.  Before relocating to Cool, California, I resided in the Bay Area.  On my ranch there was a long driveway that connected my home to my corral.  Every morning, I proceeded walking down the driveway in order to ride my horse. On the morning walks, I was accompanied by Kenya the cat, Billy the goat, Beau the Labrador, and Misty the Border Collie. These critters were family.  Misty, I admit, was my favorite.  When I reached Leo the quarter horse, the family was intact.  I saddled Leo and the family, without Kenya, headed toward the switch back trail and trails beyond.
Leo was my second quarter horse and by golly, that horse protected me, on our rides as well as keeping me on his back.   I thank you Leo for keeping me safe while teaching me to ride.
 After Leo, I got my first Arabian  named Running Bear.  With Running Bear, we entered a few limited distance endurance rides and he was my first ride and tie horse.  My next horse was a half Arab, half quarter that I renamed Red Raider or Raider, for short, after the Oakland Raiders.  Raider carried me many endurance miles over the Sierra Nevada’s and facilitated my receiving the coveted Tevis Cup buckle.  He also was instrumental in ride and tie and allowed me to be successful in that sport as well.  Raider was my favorite horse. By the way, Misty accompanied us on all the training and conditioning rides.  Misty and Raider got along fine.  We were a happy family.
 Then came Gypsy Rose named after Gypsy Rose Lee.  She was a French Arabian that I bought in Texas.  I initially met Gypsy, while returning from Florida earlier in the year.  In the spring, Michael Shackleford, Chris Bartow, DVM and I went to Texas to purchase two horses.  I purchased Gypsy.    Gypsy carried me many endurance and ride and tie miles.  She earned the distinction of completing the most ride tie miles during the season numerous times.  By the way, Gypsy also carried Jonathan Jordan and me 100 miles on the Swanton Pacific 100 mile ride and tie in 2008.  My ride and tie partner, Jonathan, was about 6 feet four and weighed well over 200 pounds at that time.  Thank you Gypsy for  caring us on your back during that ride and tie throughout  the day  and in the night going up and down the Santa Cruz Mountains.  I want to add that she did not complain.
Currently, I take Linda’s wire haired terrier with me, at times, on trail runs.  The rest of the family includes Linda’s quarter horse Decca and an Arabian called Nails.
I   owe much to my animals.  I get to care for them and play with them at times.  Animals are our pets and provide companionship, both at home and on the trails.  They allow us to pet them, groom them which in turn nurture us. Tactile contact is important especially during the aging process.  If you are aging, and do not have a pet, I suggest you reconsider.   Your rewards will be numerous, I guarantee it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment