Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Depression,Resolutions,and Running
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Depression,Resolutions,and Running

"I think in terms of the day's resolutions, not the year's."– Henry Moore
I will bet, if you are participating in the 12th annual resolution run in Auburn that you are not depressed. Yesterday, the weather was super, not like other runs that we have done on New Year’s Day.  Happy new year to everybody.
The plan was for the Secretariat, young Randall and Diane, young Marty, and I to run the 10 mile event that started at the Overlook in Auburn.  Everyone arrived at my house at 11 o’clock and from there we proceeded to the race registration. I had not registered yet, since December was not a very good running month for me.  For those of you that may remember, Linda and I went on a cruise the first weekend in December.   On the cruise I ran daily on the treadmill for about an hour. While on a cruise, I caught Linda’s cold.  I did not run for about a week, that first week at home. When I started up again, I was limiting my runs to mainly 5 with a couple of 6 milers.  I ran   at a slow pace, because I did want to have a relapse and start over.   Carrie was going to join us, but she came down with a cold, Secretariat’s wife Debbie came down with a cold, Michelle, Marty’s wife did not run because she was sick also.  In essence, I did not know what the run would be like on New Year’s Day.  So I figured I would play it by ear and I did not register until New Year’s Day.
There were a number of people that I knew at this run.  All of a sudden a smiling Leigh Bacca shows up, and I did not recognize her at first.  Back in 2002 when I ran the Western states 100,  I arrived at Charlie Gabrie’s aid station at Lyon Ridge some 11 miles or so into the run.  Leigh, a volunteer made which I took, as an offhand remark to me while I was filling a water bottle. Let me tell you that I did not take her remark as funny.  I was mad.  10 years later, she is smiling and told me that she was kidding.  Sure! Anyway she was there with Matt Scribner who has a radio spot on KAHI.  I do not know if he believed her either.  Boy, do not tell me that I am not sensitive.
I was wearing my University of Michigan cap and somebody with a Green colored cap called Matt the Sparty  comes up to me and begins talking to me about Michigan playing in the BCS Bowl against West Virginia.  Of course Matt graduated from Michigan State –the Spartans and we had a good interaction.  As it turns out, Matt Perry is a health coach, and you can reach him at www.healthstory.net or health storyteller@Gmail.com . I plan to contact him this week.
As far as a run was concerned, my time of one hour and 54 minutes and a few seconds was similar to last year.  So, I ran surprisingly better than I thought I would.  I was concerned about my conditioning, because of that awful month of December, but I ran well, considering.  I came in second a few minutes behind a young 70-year-old. There were two other males in the 70 – 99 age group but no females.
Secretariat told me about a name he received from an elite runner that he beat years ago.  Mo called him “stud man.”  Anyway, stud man’s a.k.a. Secretariat’s time was seven minutes faster this year.  Remember he has not been sleeping well because Debbie coughs through the night keeping him awake. Marty ran exceptionally well with young legs and came in a few minutes before me.  Randall ran with his wife Diane, and they did well also.
After the run, we went to daughter’s Sidne to shower and then from there to Chevy’s for dinner.  No time for depression yesterday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment