Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Happy Birthday Secretariat
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Happy Birthday Secretariat

12 years



Debbie and Tony 1970's

Vietnam 1970

Ocean City Maryland
Finishing Tevis 1998
Strange is our situation here on Earth. Each of us comes for a short visit, not knowing why, yet sometimes seeming to divine a purpose. From the standpoint of daily life, however, there is one thing we do know: that man is here for the sake of other men - above all for those upon whose smiles and well-being our own happiness depends.” Albert Einstein

 I wish you happy, happy birthday Secretariat. Have a wonderful 62nd year. I’m glad you’re back from your vacation. Today, we did a short trail run. As I’m still rehabbing my Achilles, I ran up and back on a flat section of the trail. Secretariat, on the other hand, ran the longer loop. I asked him about how long he thought it would take him to complete the loop. That became his motivation in an attempt to catch me doing my up and back on the trail. I finished my run and was doing my stretching when who other than Secretariat started making noises at the cul-de-sac. We laughed about his competitiveness and that it was my fault that he ran so fast.
While we were warming up for our run he told me about a book that he was reading that pertained to the unconscious. He obviously likes the book because he said something to the effect that he wasn’t as sure of his motives at this point. We talked about the unconscious and the fact that one’s underlying motivation can be assessed based not on what we say but what we do-it is our behavior that speaks loud volumes and reveals our motives. Incidentally, the great philosopher Spinoza wrote about the unconscious
many centuries ago and more recently Freud brought it  into 20th century thinking.
After our run, Secretariat brought delicious pie and ice cream from Washington State. We indulged in a piece of Marion berry Whidbey pie and Huckleberry ice cream by Tillamook. Linda said to save her some. That pie and ice cream was so delicious that I’m sure I could develop a craving for it because I like it also.
This afternoon I have been invited to appear on Auburn Community Television. Their website is: www.ACTV20.org  I persuaded Secretariat to accompanying me as well.
Tomorrow, Wednesday, we are attending a meeting for the Leslie Yates Ride and Tie in Cool  to be held on October 13. On Friday, Randall has been cleared to run so we’re doing a trail run on that morning. My rehabilitation ends Thursday of this week and I can’t wait to get back on the trail full bore. Running on a treadmill or running in a pool does not do it for me.
Remember, keep moving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment