Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Running Without Discomfort
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Running Without Discomfort

"There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do."– Freya Stark
Today was a good running day.  Matt and Farah Avasarala,  Secretariat, Chris Turney and I ran from my home to the American  Canyon Trail, passing Poverty Bar( Tevis Cup crossing), running by  Maine Bar, proceeding to  and up  Brown’s Bar, and continuing on the  Western States Trail reaching the 16 mile marker and  then returning back to my home. We covered roughly 14 give or take miles on this run. Essentially, we ran the Way Too Cool sections counter clockwise or in reverse. Secretariat, Matt and his wife Farah kept together for most of the run while Chris and I stayed together.
Chris and I(since we  spent  a lot of time together) talked about the San Francisco Giants, Barry Zito, the Oakland A’s, Mark Mulder , Tim Hudson, Lance Armstrong and his difficulties, San Francisco 49ers, Alex Smith, Oakland Raiders and other professional sports. We also talked about Chris’s competitions from earlier years that included Tom Johnson, Mark Richtman, Tim Twietmeyer, Jim Howard and other world-class and outstanding runners. We were talking about what it takes (quads & hamstrings) to run well in the hills and that depending upon your physiology whether or not that plays into your strength. It is clear that running a marathon is very different from running a 50 miler and that running a 50 miler is very, very different from running a 100 miler.
Chris and I also talked about the difference between competing in the triathlon and the Western States 100. In a triathlon, the participants work different muscle groups (swimming, biking and running) compared to running 100 miles incorporating the same large muscle groups over and over making it easier to sustain an injury. Obviously, one way to stay healthier is to do lots of cross training.
Secretariat, Matt and Farah waited for Chris and me at the Dead Truck Trail, Maine Bar Trail, and at the beginning and end of Brown’s Bar Trail. They went off ahead while I stretched my Achilles with Chris waiting. So far so good as I did not experience any discomfort at this point. The three of them didn’t wait any longer for us and proceeded back to my home where I found them talking with Linda. I asked Secretariat how his race went and he told me that he ran with Farah (he worked hard). He also told me that Matt was in the lead and easily stayed in front based on his desire and no one else’s. Chris and I agreed that Secretariat is running well.
After my run, I stretched my Achilles again and was still without discomfort. This was the first time in over two years that ran this distance without any Achilles issues. I am pleased since my physical therapy is working. I’m definitely going to take my own advice by keep moving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment