Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Jack Sholl:Patriot,Rower,Gentlemen Unparalleled
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Monday, October 8, 2012

Jack Sholl:Patriot,Rower,Gentlemen Unparalleled

"Choices are the hinges of destiny."– Pythagoras
In 2009, I began thinking about writing a book about my experiences over the last 12 years. I thought about it and decided to write about some of the athletes that I had met during my ride and tie, Tevis, Western States, and other running events years. I also wanted to write about other athletic activities such as rowing and paddling.  And I did. The people that I wrote about had to be at least 65 years of age and still competing in their sports.

Jack Sholl
A gentleman by the name of Jack Sholl came into my life during my search for potential subjects. Jack’s story is found in Chapter 14 in my book “It Has Nothing To Do With Age.” Jack was a perfect example that age was   just a number and productivity can be accomplished irrespective of years on the planet.  It’s about ones sense of self that is a determining factor. As it turned out, Jack became my friend. He has visited Linda and me and we have visited him. I was able to introduce Secretariat and Debbie to him and his wife Joan during one dinner party last summer. I mentioned to Secretariat many things about Jack some of which are in the book while other stories are not. Secretariat was somewhat skeptical about some of the things that I told him. He believed that I was simply embellishing stories about this man
. Well, at that dinner party, we were entertained with wonderful stories about Jack, Joan and their rowing exploits and experiences that have taken them all over the world. Both of them were delightful storytellers and it was fun and informative listening to them. Secretariat is now a believer.
Jack Sholl Independence Hall 2012
Jack, in his mid-80s, continues to give back to society. As a Son of the American Revolution, he is very knowledgeable and passionate about the history of our country. He has spoken to many school and religious groups on this subject. Not only is he informative he is also a delightful person with outstanding character and a true Patriot to boot. Meeting Jack was one of golden nuggets, which I have received, in writing my book.
Just recently, on September 15th, Jack was invited to be a speaker at Independence Hall in Philadelphia regarding the 225th Anniversary of our Constitution.  That is Jack with 75 Colonial Color Guardsmen in the background each bearing flags of the rebellious states. He told me that “it’s the greatest honor that I ever had.” Jack is having a right shoulder replacement on 15th of November. After surgery he will rehab and began training for the Masters International Rowing Championships to be held in northern Italy next September. Incidentally, Jack was born in 1925. I do not have to tell him to keep moving. He gets it.
Yesterday, Randall and Diane, Chris Turney, Secretariat and I did a short 6 to 7 mile training run in preparation for Randall and Dianne’s first marathon next Saturday on 10/13. I don’t have to tell them to keep moving either.
I’m also pleased to report that Joan Sohl my friend and new running  buddy completed her first marathon at Susanville Sunday. She told me “I did it.”  It was great to hear her excitement and sense of accomplishment. Congratulations go to her. It’s easy to keep moving when your friends also keep moving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment