Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Do You Want To Run 100 Miles ?
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Do You Want To Run 100 Miles ?

"There is a sense of exhilaration that comes from facing head-on the hard truths and saying, 'We will never give up. We will never capitulate. It might take a long time, but we will find a way to prevail.'"– Jim Collins

Ann Langstaff
Dennis Rinde
Chris Turney
Tony
In 1997, the decisions that I made resulted in a major change. At that time, I was entering the endurance world, trail riding and practicing full-time as a psychologist in the Bay Area. Early in the year, I entered an endurance ride at Mount Hamilton in San Jose. At that time, I was introduced to an event called ride and tie. I became interested in that sport and then began trail running. Because of this sport, I met trail runners, some of who became friends, and some, I found out, were world-class runners. People like Tony a.k.a. Alpha, Chris Turney, Linda Raposelli,  Ann Langstaff, Jonathan Jordan, Russ Kiernan, Dennis Rinde, Jim Howard, Tom Johnson, Mark Richtman and Tim Twietmeyer to name a few.

Linda Raposelli

Mark Richtman


Jim Howard and daughter Sara

Tom Johnson
Tim Twietmeyer


Jonathan Jordan
Frank

Because of the sport and the necessary trail running, I learned about trail running and various trail events. I learned about nutrition (power bars,  Cliff bars, turkey and peanut butter sandwiches); hydration (Gatorade, Cytomax, Gu20); and running gear (Asics, New Balance, Mizuno, Brooks) and orthotics.
I also learned about the Western States 100, one-day  trail run, 5 k’s , half marathons, marathons, 50 K’s, and 50 milers. When I decided to compete in the Western States 100 ,my trail running consisted of a few 5 K’s, one half  trail marathon, the Maui marathon, one 50 K., and five years  of ride and tie competitions.
To be continued
Yesterday, Alpha, Chris, Carrie and I ran the trail. We started for my home and headed toward Dead Truck. They proceeded to Maine Bar and then back to my house for about a 7 plus  mile trail run. I wanted to run longer so I passed Maine Bar and headed towards Brown’s Bar and then returned to my home for about 14 of 15 mile trail run. Once home, I enjoyed the three I’s –ice, ibuprofen, and ice cream. What was not to like about yesterday? In any event I recommend moving, laughing and smiling.

0 comments:

Post a Comment