Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Relieved
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Saturday, December 7, 2019

Relieved



Sara Hall, age 36, is a world-class runner married to Ryan Hall a former world-class runner. They reside and train in Flagstaff, Arizona at a 7,000 feet elevation level. The November 3, 2019 article “A Runner Refuses to Stop Racing “in the New York Times highlighted her running ability. This marathon runner limits the time between events. She’ll run a marathon and then run another event within two months.
The article pointed out that other world-class runners like Meb Keflezigi at age 36 ran the New York marathon and 69 days later won the 2012 Olympic trials. Sarah’s short downtime between races has been advocated by her husband- coach. Sarah began this training approach in 2015. For example, she qualified for the US cross-country team and then 13 days later entered a marathon in China but was not happy with her 2:48:02 time. She said “I’m not taking a break.” Since that time she has done very well with this approach. For instance, in 2017 she ran a 2:27:21 Frankfurt Marathon in Germany and then 35 days later ran a 2:28 minute win In the California International Marathon. She said one of her greatest motivations “fearing failure.”
Sara claimed to know how her body recovers.  She will run a competitive marathon and then run a shorter race afterwards. She also includes marathon running workouts in her training. Perhaps this young elite runner has other strategies for protecting her body as well. Sara, per the Nike commercial “Just Do It,” I would add “While You Can.”
About 4 to 6 weeks ago, I developed discomfort in my left knee. After a few days of using ibuprofen, I visited my primary care doctor. Dr. Dan suggested that I continue resting for 10 days and continue using ibuprofen. I told him I wanted an X-ray, an MRI and a referral to Dr. V a sports medicine physician who replaced Linda’s shoulder.
After three or four days, I went on the elliptical, discontinued the ibuprofen and then continued my running again. This time I was more tentative, reduced my running distance and ran primarily on the level street. I did not experience discomfort again and over the past month I slowly increased my running distance. The x-ray was negative and the MRI’s finding suggested that I either damaged my medial meniscus or that damage was from my previous meniscus surgery. I still didn’t know the extent of the knee injury and was looking forward to meeting Dr. V.
I met Dr. V and a resident, on a Friday, I told them that I was running up to 8 miles a day without any pain. Dr. V told me that although I had some arthritis there was very little damage to my meniscus. He said that if I develop a problem later on, he would take care of it. He also said for me to resume what I normally do. The next day, was Saturday, and I ran much more relaxed. It was as if the burden and fear was lifted from my shoulders as I ran faster and walked less.
Sara, in my 60s, I ran 50 milers at Jed Smith on the first week in February and then about five weeks later ran the Way Too Cool 50 k‘s. In my 70s, on January 1, I entered the Resolution Run-a 10 mile trail run. I followed that with either a 50 K Jed Smith event in February or another 50 K called the Folsom Lake at the end of February. This past year I only ran The Resolution Run and the Jed Smith event as a result of a previous overuse injury. This coming year I intend to run the Resolution Run and will then decide where to go from there.

PS

Tony and I talked about the upcoming Resolution Run. He indicated that he might have to run a shorter distance this year. For the last five months or so, he hasn’t been running because he was building his home on Whidbey Island.

0 comments:

Post a Comment