Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Ride & Tie ,Birthday Run,Tevis Cup, and Western States
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Ride & Tie ,Birthday Run,Tevis Cup, and Western States

"Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence."– Lin Yutang
Laura C called Linda and I and asked if we would be willing to host the birthday run again this Saturday.  We told her we would be delighted. This birthday run has been going on for years in honor of the birthday boys - Laura’s husband Tom, and none other than our Secretariat a.k.a. Tony.  Essentially, this birthday running group is primarily comprised of both endurance and ride and tie competitors.  As you may or may not know, ride and tie folks are superb equestrians and terrific runners. So when I first arrived in the endurance capital of the world, it was common to see the ride and tie community compete in endurance-especially the Tevis Cup, as well as ultra running events such as the Western states 100, Way too Cool 50 K. , American River 50 etc.
So my entry into ride and tie introduced me to individuals that were first place finishers in the Tevis Cup, Western States 100 etc. Needless to say, it does not get any better than that.  I met Secretariat at the Mustang classic a ride and tie and endurance event in 1997.  Shortly thereafter I met Tom and Laura, Becky, Robert and Melissa and numerous other ride and tie participants. This year I invited Randall and Diane running enthusiasts, along with Marty and Michelle to join us in the birthday run and potluck brunch afterwards.  Join all of us at the fire station in Cool at 9 AM this Saturday.
Going back 10 years ago to 2001, my running partner, Linda R. and I submitted entries to the Western states 100.  On that particular Saturday there was the annual drawing in Auburn to determine who would be the chosen for that run.  At that time there was no dilemma for me, because the birthday run was on the same day.  I told Linda that I was going to participate in the birthday run instead of going to the drawing.  She opted to go to the drawing.
I remember clearly that after finishing the run that morning, I am sitting in my vehicle, getting ready to head to Chris and Mickey’s for the potluck.  All of a sudden I see a smiling, joyous, Linda who yells to me “We are in, we are in.”  I do not remember exactly what I said or how I felt but I do remember that I told Linda to follow me to Chris’s house. Once there we were full of excitement and enthusiasm and thrilled to talk about the upcoming event.  I also recruited Chuck M to be one of my Pacers for the run.
Happy birthday to Tom, Secretariat, Chris and others and happy anniversary also.  Chances are, if I had not met Secretariat at Dan B’s endurance and ride and tie event in 1997, I likely would not be writing this blog today.  More about that at a later time.
By the way, I just received confirmation that I am in the 2012 "Way Too Cool" 50 K. run.

0 comments:

Post a Comment