Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Secrets to Living Longer and the Fountain of Youth
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Friday, December 30, 2011

Secrets to Living Longer and the Fountain of Youth

  Part 5 Finding the Fountain of Youth –I found it!

What are the principles that we have learned? It is clear, that finding meaning in an activity is important and can be defined by one’s behavior – the activity that one does.  For me, ride and tie and ultra running became meaningful, and resulted in how I was going to live my life.  I liked the competitiveness, the people I met, and the resulting friendships that I made.  It was also important for me to think about and incorporate “future “in my thinking and planning.  Thinking about my future and goal setting go hand-in-hand.  Goal setting, by definition is related to the future.  Now, I could plan, have direction, and bring order to my life.  My daily, weekly runs became training opportunities for me.  Even, participating in competitive endurance, ride and tie, or running events became training for the next event. In other words, there is the next event or next challenge. And as a result, I look forward to and planning for the future.
Remember, a goal has to be to clear and objectively measured. To say my goal is running is too vague and immeasurable.  However, to say, my goal is to run 5 miles today or to run for one hour today is clear and objectively measured.  To say I am going to run fast today is also vague.  To say, I am going to shoot for a seven minute mile is clear.  Time yourself after 1 mile and see if your goal is realistic or not.
In goal setting, and competing, I learned about mindfulness-which means being in the present.  If I was exhausted, I recognized my current state.  I am not saying I liked it but I did acknowledge it.  I then developed strategies to deal with my current state-I said affirmations like “I can, I can” when it became difficult to precede running after hour and hour on the trail. When experiencing pain, I re framed it and called it “discomfort “and took proper techniques to deal with it- walking, ibuprofen, ice, or rest. Being in the here and now, dealing with it, is one key and extremely important.  By the same token, it is important not to live and dwell in the past.  It is okay to re -tell stories from the past however do not live in the past or memories from the past. That does not mean you do not think about the past, but it does mean that you   are not simply stories of your illustrious past. Being in the present, looking to the future while being able to acknowledge your past and learn from your history define who you are.
Human connections are extremely important and necessary for successful healthy fulfillment.  No man is an island, and it is the relationships that meet our affiliative needs and necessary for survival. Looking at Dr. Howard’s characteristics of centenarians, we find interpersonal components being quite necessary.  There is much information about the importance of what makes us human or social contacts and life longevity.
For me, having a loving, sensual, supportive partner, enhanced my life and made living easier and more fulfilling.  Do not underestimate the importance-the significance of having a special person in your life.  In some ways, my partner Linda assists in my youthful outlook and living my life.  Thank you   Linda.
 To summarize my insights these past 15 years of successful, healthy, and youthful aging include numerous components. They are as follows: 1. Finding meaning and living according to your own uniqueness 2. Making, having friends, and a loving supportive sensual partner 3.   Knowing how to set purposeful and realistic goals 4.  Making sure your mind-body connection is in harmony 5.  Mindfulness –being in the present 6.  Being able to look and plan for a positive future in your life 7. Not dwelling or reliving over and over the past 8. Participating in a physical activity.
Stay tuned, this story is not complete as the journey continues.  Find the correct road map and that will lead you to Ponce de Leon’s fountain of youth.

0 comments:

Post a Comment