Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: 2013 Western States Endurance Run
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

2013 Western States Endurance Run

"We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality."– Iris Murdoch

On Memorial Day weekend, the Western States 100 is having its annual training run. The first day, Saturday, the run begins at Robinson Flat and ends in Forest Hill a distance of about 32 miles. On Sunday, the training run begins at Forest Hill and ends At White Oak Flat for a distance of about 19 miles. On Monday, the training run begins at Green Gate and ends in Auburn for a distance of about 20 miles.
On Sunday evening, there’s a movie,”Desperate Dreams “and discussion by Jim King and Jim Howard with Tim Twietmeyer being the moderator. All three of these men are world-class runners and winners of this prestigious event. Jim Howard, I first met, competing in ride and tie. Tim Twietmeyer was gracious enough to write a marvelous review of my book “It Has Nothing To Do With age.” if interested, in attending, I suggest you Google Western States 100 training runs.
  • What: 1983 WS Desperate Dreams screening, followed by a discussion with Jim Howard and Jim King, facilitated by Andy Jones-Wilkins.
  • When: Sunday May 26, 2013, 6-9pm
  • Where: Canyon View Community Center, 471 Maidu Dr, Auburn, CA
  • Cost: Free
  • Food: Firetrail Pizza will be on site selling pizzas.
This weekend brings back memories of my introduction to Western States and the Memorial Day training runs. I remember qualifying in November of 2001 when I completed the Helen Klein 50 mile trail run under 10 hours. Incidentally this was my first 50 mile run. I started out that day with my training partner the young Linda Raposelli, and my younger friend Jerome Beauchamp. Linda being younger than me, had to complete the run in 9 ½ hours. We both qualified and entered the drawing for Western states for 2002. Later that month, we were both selected in the lottery.
My mother passed away in late September of 2001 and I broke up with my girlfriend in that month as well. The training for the run with my running partner Linda helped me with my grief and losses. Having a major goal that required a tremendous amount of effort and discipline also facilitated in dealing and coping with my emotional pain. Those 6 to 8 months of training turned out to be very enjoyable in spite of my losses and emotional state.  Linda and I got close, told a lot of stories, talked about relationships, losses, laughed and smiled a lot.  I learned what is said on the trail stays on the trail. I will never forget that important time in my life.
Linda and I ran the trails most days during the week and entered a few trail runs together. We did John Medingers 50 mile trail run in January, The Way to Cool 50 K. in March and the American River 50 mile trail run in April.
Linda and I also did the three-day Western States trail run in May. On the first day of the training run, her husband, at the time a Tevis Cup enthusiast, Michael suffered a horse accident shattering his leg. I remember visiting him in the hospital later that evening. His leg recovered but their marriage did not.
Last night, in honor of Penny’s triumph, after dinner we all went to Tony and Debbie’s home for brownies, ice cream, blue berries, cake, nuts, whip cream, chocolate topping,  and cherries. If I missed anything, Tony will add it.
Remember to keep moving, laughing, smiling and belly breathing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment