Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Friendship,Quicksilver,Bo and Woody
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Monday, May 13, 2013

Friendship,Quicksilver,Bo and Woody

Friendship, Quicksilver, Bo and Woody

Thursday, Tony and I did our last the 5 mile or so tapering run/walk. We talked about high school, girls, football, present-day politics, and the media. What is said (a rule)on the trail ,stays on the trail.
Friday, Linda, Tony, Jonathan, Tara, Madhu, Farah and I left for the Quicksilver trail race in San Jose. I was happy to learn that Madhu, at one time worked in the Bay Area, and has entered the Quicksilver 50 mile race numerous times. Unfortunately, Farah is still recovering from an injury and will not participate in the run. Because it is Madhu’s 55th birthday this month, he facilitated and organized our participation. Tonight,  we’re going to meet at Bellagio’s for a pre race dinner.
Ride and Tie competitors Jonathan, Tara, Tony, Linda and I are lodging nearby the race site. If it wasn’t for Tony, I might not have become involved in this special sport nor developed a friendship with him. I first met Tony at  the ride and tie event at Mount Hamilton in 1997. And my first ride and tie event, in 1997, was at Quicksilver.
It might’ve been around 2003 or 2004, when I first met Jonathan. Guess what? I met him at the Quicksilver Ride and Tie. He came all the way from Southern California to participate in the event. I’ve stayed at Tara and Jonathan’s home many times over the years. Jonathan and I  have also partnered up for a number of ride and tie events including the World Championship in 2008 and the Swanton Pacific 100 miler in 2008 (incidentally we won it). Jonathan comes up and runs the Way Too Cool 50 K. with Tony and me.  Incidentally, a few years ago, Tara also came up to run the event as well.

Tara, Jonathan, Tony and I have entered the 25K. So I am looking forward to getting together with friends and especially participating in a trail run race. The four of us, I believe, are in different age groups (40,50,60 and70)for this run unless they stick me in Tony’s.  That has happened before and Tony got a big kick out of that.


Tony, in the 60-99 age groups, broke 3 hours, came in 2nd, got a medal   Saturday and was pleased.
On the way to San Jose, Linda and I met with Mike Keller the All-American from the University of Michigan and former Dallas Cowboys  NFL player. Mike is the man responsible for setting up and implementing the professional Spring Football League which will debut in 2014.
I told Mike that one idea for my book is to interview Wolverines and Buckeyes who played for  coaches Bo Schembechler and Woody Hayes. If you’re not familiar with those two names, I suggest you Google  them. My idea at this point, is to talk about their “ mental toughness “ on the football field. I’m also interested in exploring how “mental toughness” served  them later in life. Those two coaches battled and   in what were called by the media “the ten year  wars( 1969-1978). ”
Remember my friends, keep moving, laughing, smiling and belly breathing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment