Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Mental Toughness, Reason, Friendship and Football
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Mental Toughness, Reason, Friendship and Football


Part 2
Frank on the left
I played football and baseball in my backyard, in front of my home, on vacant lots and at the schoolyard.  I was pretty good and often played with older kids. My main competitor in elementary and junior high school was Tom Smith. He was bigger and better than I was. He went on to receive All State honors, played under Dan Devine at Missouri in a few Orange Bowls, became a principal but unfortunately was killed in an automobile accident.
It wasn’t until high school, that my athletic achievement was noted and rewarded. As a freshman, in high school, I played on the reserve football team. I didn’t play my sophomore year because I was getting into trouble. I did play in my junior year until I broke a heel bone in my right leg (a non-football injury). As a result, I didn’t get to play in the Detroit city league championship. At that time the winner of the public school, my high school Denby played the winner of the parochial school De LaSalle in the Goodfellow   game   at Briggs Stadium (it is now called Tiger Stadium).
Denby high school was a football powerhouse in those days. In my senior year, we were undefeated and gave up two touchdowns during the season. In the first half of every game we were in the lead and I played right guard on offense and middle guard on defense. Coach Rutherford would substitute in the second half and I was moved to left guard on offense and remained at middle guard on defense. We were planning on playing Redford  high school  the public school champions of the west side of Detroit, when our athletic director, Mr.  Rhem discovered that one of our players (who later went on to play at the University of Michigan and become a lawyer) didn’t get an official physical examination. As a result we had to forfeit games in which he played. So are season ended.  That year, 1957, I was voted All City and awarded a football scholarship at the University of Detroit. I love football, the physical contact, the camaraderie, and being a necessary component to make a whole.

 One idea for my   book on mental  toughness is to write about Bo Schembechler ‘s All Americans and to compare them with either coach Duffy Doherty’s  Michigan State University Spartans  All Americans ; or special forces combat veterans; or female ultra runners ; or female triathlon athletes. I am interested in finding out and writing about mental toughness during competitions and after. Suggestions are welcomed.
Yesterday, Tony, Carrie and I did a short 5 mile or so tapering trail run along with dogs Porter and Jade. If I could only bottle the energy of those dogs, running could be so much different. Carrie is dealing with a new relationship and   residence issues. Thank goodness for PEA the neurotransmitter.

Remember to keep moving, laughing, smiling and rhythmic breathing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment