Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: A Different Way To Age and Ageism
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A Different Way To Age and Ageism

Today, I am attending The Eldorado Equestrian Trails Foundation for a book signing.   I am going to start my presentation and talk briefly about my accident in 2009 with my horse Gypsy. The accident was serious , as I was airlifted by a rescue helicopter and flown to Sutter Memorial Hospital and treated in their trauma center.
During my recovery phase, I thought about using my time wisely and came up with the notion that I would write a book.  The idea occurred to me that I could tell the tale about my introduction to horses, and the many experiences that followed.  Once I figured out my subject matter, I formed hypotheses that I wanted to research.  To answer the questions that I created, I put together a case history questionnaire to measure and address those questions.
I formed two focus groups; to get a better handle and direction for the task ahead.  Listening to the participants from the focus group, it was clear that the “older” person of today is much more active than the individual 50 years ago.  Thinking back to my parents, they were active, but not as active as people today.  I decided that I did not want to limit the participants of my study, to simply be active.  I wanted to research and study individuals that were active and still competing.  Then I began to think about all the people that I met during my ride and tie journey and began writing down and compiling a list of older competitors.
I began researching writers that have written about aging.  I looked to models of aging and revisited Erik Erikson, and his 8 ages of man. I also looked at motivational theory, and the writings of Albert Maslow, Erich Fromm, Alfred Adler and others.  Contemporary authors like Andrew Weill, Deepak Chopra, etc. also wrote and provided ideas about aging successfully.
I incorporated aging, competitiveness, and mastery with extreme sports.  I was able to look at an older competitor and address the motivational, developmental, and competitive nature of my interviewees. I used my experience with ride and tie to be the foundation or the base for my study. My research, illustrated a new and different model about the aging process.  We do not look like others, we do not think like others, we do not act like others, and we are not like others.
An example of an individual who is more than active and gives a more accurate look at a new way to age is none other than Lew Hollander.  His recent triumph at the Hawaiian Iron man speaks volumes.  This man is 81 years young and has completed 23 out of 23 Hawaiian Iron man events.  He is much has more than just a sports phenom.  He is a scientist, and still presents papers in scientific gatherings.  It goes without saying that he is in no way a typical 81 year individual.  His thinking, philosophy, and behavior put him in a very different category.  His age does not limit, who he is.

0 comments:

Post a Comment