Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Tevis Cup, Hawaiian Ironman, and Molokai Hoe
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Tevis Cup, Hawaiian Ironman, and Molokai Hoe

"I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I have just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well."– Diane Ackerman


Last night, Secretariat and I attended a Rotary meeting at the Buckeye restaurant near Drew Barner Park.  We were there to make a presentation as well as a book signing.  In addition, I showed the short book trailer that Secretariat put together.

While eating dinner, I talked with Secretariat about what this group might be interested in hearing and how it relates to them as businesspeople.  Secretariat thought that talking about stress could be a good beginning.  I agreed with him.

Incorporating, Diane Ackerman’s quote is quite apropos.  To briefly paraphrase her.  I agree that it is important to live life to its fullest.  It is extremely important to get the most out of every day, especially after you pass the midpoint of life and realize that the window or the opening is closing.  It is not like adolescence when it seems the end is infinite.

I looked around the room, and briefly surmised about 20 to 25 in attendance with everyone  at least middle aged with one man approaching his mid-80s.  A couple of the individuals were medium build, while the vast majority seemed heavy to say the least.  The problem was apparent. How does a business person in these difficult times deal with stress and everyday living?  How does a busy businessman or businesswoman find the time and energy to eat and exercise properly?  We all know that stress is a killer and that often, we turn to food, to gratify our needs.

One example that I gave related to my NFL football friend and comrade Ed Budde.  I told the audience that I talked with Ed earlier in the day and that his motto is” keep moving”.  And I added that I agreed with the idea of “keep moving, start moving”.   Norm a member in the audience commented that he moved in and out of his car today.   His response got a good chuckle.

I know for me that when I was working full-time, I said, work got in the way of what I wanted to do.  Did I have time eat properly and to do what I wanted to do, well not always.  So I can relate to the men and women in the audience and their busy stressful lives.

After my presentation, one gentleman came up to me and talked about competing in the Tevis, with his mule.  He is in his late 60s.  We talked for a while, and I said to him.  “There are no do over’s-do not miss your opportunity.”  Hopefully, what I said to him and what he saw on the trailer will make a difference in his life.  I would like him to enter the Tevis.

My professional career is teaching and psychology.  Some of my reasons for entering those two professions where I wanted to make a difference in the lives of people.  That element has not changed for me.  Hopefully my book, “It Has Nothing To Do With Age “can reach people and make a difference in their lives.

On 13th of October I plan to make a presentation at the El Dorado Equestrian Trails Foundation at 6:30 PM in Greenwood and on the 15th of October from 3 to 5 PM, I will be at the Auburn Running Company in Auburn. Please join me.

Good luck Tevis Cup equestrians, Lew Hollander-Hawaiian Ironman, and Doc Shay Sammie Stanbro on the Molokai to Oahu Outrigger canoe race.

0 comments:

Post a Comment